Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

XC skiing in Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest some places in Austria, southern Germany, Switzerland that are especially good for (lazy) XC skiing? Not uberchic spots like Seefeld. Not particularly challenging trails...we want to relax and go at an easy to moderate pace. We're looking for someplace more low key, with a sprinkling of decent to very good hotels (3 or 4 stars), maybe with some spa facilities. Must be pet friendly. (and we'd be traveling by car.)

We don't have specific dates in mind, just would like to put together a list for next winter, places we could go to on fairly short notice after a good snowfall.

Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM

The area around Oberammergau has lots of rather flat trails and seems reasonably uncrowded.

We also noticed quite a few cross country skiers just south of Reutte along the B179. Lots of folks struggling along through wide open fields.

There also seemed to be trails near the Royal Castles outside Fuessen.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM

In my time in Zürich I regularly went for XC skiing to Einsiedeln. They have a big variety of ski trails through the fields, past farm villages and in the forests.

Closer to you, I have noticed very nice looking trails at the forest roads in the northern Black Forest - along the B500 - but havenīt the chance to ski there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM

Look to Ramsau- just 30 minutes south of Salzburg.Easy trip- the town is just off the Autobahn
Hundreds of kilometers of well groomed cross country trails walking paths too.
Nice town - good hotel choices much to do in the area- and usually good snow.
Dog friendly too. I too often travel with my dog.

www.ramsau.com
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM

Goms, Switzerland. The cross country skiing mecca of Switzerland.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM

Besides Goms, there are so many high valleys in Switzerland which offer a lot of space and beautiful scenery for XC skiing - for example Engadine and Lenzerheide
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM

Hi BTilke,

I think Ingo regularly goes to the Engadin Valley for cross-country, and I think he likes to stay in/around Sils. I know the Engadin is perfect for biking -- relatively flat on the trails that shadow the river but massively gorgeous for the mountains framing the views. Add the lakes of the Upper Engadin, the glaciers above you, and it's pretty perfect. I'm sure the experience transfers well for cross-country.

Good luck!

s
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent suggestions. We will look into all of them! We are also checking out Ruhpolding (Germany) and Obertilliach (Austria) as both towns now offer biathlon lessons to beginners. We are big biathlon fans and would love to give it a try. Although with my stiff right knee I'll be pretty slow (and not at all graceful) getting down into position to shoot and then getting up again!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and Molker, the Ramsau option sounds like we could combine a few nights stay around Salzburg (at the Friesacher Hotel, so close to Hellbrunn with all those great dog friendly paths in the grounds and woods around the castle--they even allow dogs into the zoo! on leash of course) with a few nights in Ramsau.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM

BTilke-

no idea that the zoo permited dogs.

From the Friesacher , I often walk along the streets out of town toward the autobahn and the large area of open fields and quiet surroundings there.

If you still look for places, check the snow conditions at Ruhpolding.
The Biathlon Junior Championships were on Eurosport - the conditions did not look very good. Some recent weeks of warmer weather for places in lower altitudes causes troubles.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:47 AM

I'm partial to Kaprun..but I've even been cross country skiing in Graz - around the lake that Arnie used to jog around when he was a bit younger!