Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wrong Hotel - Luxembourg Hotel vs Jardin du Luxembourg!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Gaia

Hi, My friends referred Jardin du Luxembourg to me a couple of months ago. The way I did the search led me to the Luxembourg Hotel, which is what I booked. It looks great on the web, I assumed this was the hotel they were talking about, and I booked a room. Imagine my shock and dismay reading all of the scary postings about the Hotel Luxembourg. My friend speaks french and we are going to call the other hotel today and see if there is possibly a room left at Jardin du Luxembourg. Please oh please, has anyone had a good experience at Hotel Luxembourg? I've read what the other sites say about them overbooking, the rude guy at the front desk, etc. I am so bummed out now.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Kathy

Are the Luxembourg Hotel and Villa Luxembourg the same thing? I was considering booking at the Villa Luxembourg, but if it is the same as the Luxembourg Hotel then I don't want to book that because of the negative reviews. The address of the Villa Luxembourg is 121 Bd du Montparnasse.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Kathy<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Andre

Kathy,<BR><BR>No, the Villa Luxembourg is a DIFFERENT hotel. It's a modern building located on the busy Boulevard Montparnasse.<BR><BR>Looks OK from the outside, never stayed there though.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:48 AM
further confusion

First may I ask, are we talking Paris?<BR><BR>Secondly, I stayed at one called Ducia Luxembourg on St. Michel Blvd. which was a really nice 3-star ~$100/night.<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Christina

I'm sure there are many hotels in Paris with Luxembourg in the name in that general area, the Observatoire Luxembourg is another. The Villa Luxembourg used to be a Citadines and before that I think the name was "Times Square" or something odd -- it's apartment/hotels and those are always modern.<BR><BR>I've read comments from several people who like the Hotel Luxembourg, some quite a bit. I think the only major problem was regarding overbooking, not the room itself. As for a rude guy at the front desk -- well, I don't know but I don't think you can really predict those kinds of things perfectly. It wouldn't really matter to me that much because I don't care that much about desk clerks and I'm not a very demanding hotel guest. I pretty much check in and see to myself. I think nice staff really adds to my opinion of a hotel, and is an extra touch, but I wouldn't choose a hotel based on that so much myself if I liked it and the location and price. <BR><BR>Why don't you read the comments on this hotel at www.paris.org/Hotels , there are several quite positive. Also, view digital.france.com/hotels for a good sample over both hotels. I have read negative comments on the Jardins du Luxembourg also, I might add. Now maybe those are the ones you read, as the ones on digital.france do have several quite negative on the desk clerk.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Fred

If it's the Luxembourg at 4 rue de Vaugirard, not to worry - receives very good comments from people who have stayed there, as follows:<BR>Hotel Luxembourg (left bank 3 star )-<BR>Service and staff support was always good<BR>interior and room decor is quite <BR>beautiful<BR>For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]<BR><BR><BR>Charming hotel. <BR>Country French decorating throughout. <BR>Front desk very, very helpful..<BR>very nicely furnished<BR>an attractive hotel<BR>a delightful hotel<BR>extremely clean! <BR>includes a wonderful breakfast.<BR>were very pleased. <BR>room was small, beautifully furnished and immaculate.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Surlok

Beware of Hotel Luxembourg, 4, Rue de vaugirard. Although nice ( I stayed there two years ago), it's known for its overbooking policy. The problem is not liking the hotel or not, but getting a room for sure. It's not funny to get there and finding out your room has been given away.