would you do this itinerary?

Jan 26th, 2002, 04:31 AM
cynthia

would you do this itinerary?

This is my husbands first trip to Europe and I don't want him to miss anything. Please tell me what I am leaving out.

We can only take ten days off (and believe me we wish we could do so much more) so we will do much moving around.

We fly into Shannon in early June and will head straight for the Cliffs of Moher (not sure on the spelling). We arrive around 5 A.M. or somewhere thereabouts. From there we will drive down to Ring of Kerry and hopefully make it to Blarney by night fall.

Since this may become quite long I will try to leave out all the details and give you general information.

Day two we will begin by kissing the Blarney stone and head off to Dublin to get a taste of the city before we ferry across and hit stonehenge on our way to London before night fall.

The next morning we will whirl around London in the A.M. and take the late morning train to Paris.

The next two days we will slow down and spend that time in Paris. One of the days we will go to Disney and the other day we will go to Versailles. We will tour Paris in the early morning hours and the evenings.

After the two relaxing days in Paris we will need to pick up the pace again. My husband is very much an active person so I know that he wants to see all the sights I have seen. I think there is a tiny twinge of jealousy that my college boyfriend and myself backpacked through Europe twelve years ago.

From Paris we will go to Madrid. Anyone know of things to see and do here? Madrid is the one place I have never been. Spending the night in Madrid we will then rise early and head to Barcelona. I forgot one thing, we will take trains until we get to Barcelona and then we will rent a car and eventually drop it off in Naples.

We should spend the late afternoon in Barcelona and drive out and onward to Switzerland for the night. The next day we will spend in Lucerne and then the Lake region.

Off the next day to Venice where I think a well deserved rest is in order. Two nights will be devoted to my favorite place in the world.

After the two nights in Venice we will tour the Tuscany area and reach Rome by night fall. I need to find a hotel with free parking since it would be silly for us to drive around Rome. I once knew a person who tried to drive around Rome and beyond being lost for hours they were also in a fender bender. There was nothing really wounded but his pride.

After the night in Rome we will drive the fabulous Amalfi Coast and spend the night on Capri. After driving the Amalfi Coast we will return the car in Naples and take the ferry to Capri. In the morning we will return by ferry from Capri and take catch our late morning flight from Naples.

Can anyone tell me of great things I'm leaving out? I know this would be a bit of a rush to some but my husband is highstrung and I just would not feel right if he missed some of the wonderful things I have seen. I doubt we will return because it is an answer to prayer to get him to fly overseas to begin with, especially after 9/11. Any help with my plans and other must sees would be wonderful.

thanks bunches

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Gregory

Hi Cynthia,

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I think you are being way too optimistic in the distances you areplanning on doing in only ten days.

For example I think it is impossible to get from Blarney to Dover to Stonehenge and to London during daylight hours by train. It appears that you will be so rushed you will not be enjoying everything that Europe has to offer.

I personnally would narrow the choice of countries to 1 or maybe two and get to know it in more detail ( ie spend two days in London or Rome or Paris etc)

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:24 AM
cynthia

Gregory, I did forget to mention that we will drive from Shannon to London using the ferry. From London to Barcelona we would use the train and then again from Barcelona to Naples back with a car. Sorry if I misinformed you. I would completely agree with you, going from Blarney to London via the train/ferry combo would be too much in a day (too many connections to make and that would be somewhat foolish). Does it change your opinion now knowing that we will have the flexibility of using a car?

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Shain

Hi there,
I agree, too much, too far, too busy,
in such a small time.
Be a returner. Europe is so divers and has so much to offer, even if you ad 2 days more in Paris(city of love) it's still not enough. And Disney - apart from the cultural things you will see-
is a secondary spot to go, while you on a european trip. Disney is at it's best in Orlando or California- believe me !

I suggest:
2 days in ireland
3-4 days in england/london
3-4 days in paris
2-3 days i madrid/or barcelona
fly in to ireland and out from paris/barcelona or madrid
Trains are running a least every hour
between London and Paris (see Eurostar or Thalys trains)
take a plane from Paris to Madrid/Barcelona
Enjoy your trip - dont get breathless.
Need more info?
Shain/Germany/Düsseldorf

cmt

NO!!!!! I would limit the trip to maybe two regions of one country, or maybe the adjacent regions of two countries. For example: FRANCE--Provence and the Dordogne; ITALY--Tuscany and Umbria, and maybe a little of Emiglia-Romagna and Veneto; ITALY--Sicily and one other region that you can fly to; UK--London to northern England (including York) and then part of Scotland. When I ws around 24 or 25 I took what I consider to be a RUSHED trip around many parts of Italy (from Milan down to Sicily) that were accessible by public transportation, but we took about 5 weeks to do it. My trips in the last 5 years years have covered only selected portions of a single region of Italy, France or Greece, so may preference is to cover less ground but really get the flavor of a place.

kavey

Cynthia

Are you sure that's all you want to cover? Seems a bit relaxed to me.

I would consider throwing in Rome as well, you will be in Naples, so practically in the neighbourhood!

GRIN!

Kavey

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:36 AM
erica

I'm exhausted just counting the number of places you listed. Is it really 13? In 10 days? Totally crazy. You won't get the feeling (that's what travelling means to me) for any one of those places, will do nothing but drive and lug your things into the next hotel.

As for the competitive part re your previous trip - why not plan one that is unique and special to you and your husband. You don't want your husband to 'miss anything', but with this itinerary that's exactly what will happen - he'll miss it all.

Please reconsider.

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:37 AM
cynthia

Kavey, we do have Rome included in our itinerary. I would never miss Rome.

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:39 AM
xx

I agree with Kavey. You really should try to cover a little more since you're never returning. You can sleep when you get home. A great way to get your husband to forget your previous trip is to make sure you have great vacation sex in all those locations!

Have fun.

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:41 AM
annie

Sorry Cynthia, I agree with the other postings here. Slow down, relax and enjoy the trip! Your ambitious itinerary reminds me of "It's Tuesday, so this must be Belgium"! Pick 1 (maybe 2) countries and really tour them. And, I agree with Shain, put Paris Disney at the bottom of your "to-do list".

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Rex

No troll has ever rendered me quite so effectively - - speechless.

Some of my detractors will thank you, cynthia.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Shain

Hi Cynthia,
if you not want to miss Rome please skip ireland and concentrate on LOndon, Rome and Paris.
Fly with Ryanair or Virgin Express LON-Rome.
spend 3 nights there
fly to Paris spend 3-4 nights there
fly out of Paris
And start with London 3-4 nights.
Please think of time differences, jetlag, the terrain between rome and paris is very rockie so it takes a whole
day or even longer (more than 12hrs)
to go by train alongside the coast or through the alps. And naples is not really in the neighbourhood. You should consider to that or other cities on a second trip. Dont forget every country is completely different from the other with own language, food, castles etc.
More?
Shain/Germany/Düsseldorf

Jan 26th, 2002, 05:52 AM
xx

Shain, you are very sweet to be concerned about Cynthia's trip. But she's pulling your leg!

Jan 26th, 2002, 06:02 AM
kavey

Cynthia

So pleased you have Rome.. I am sure you will enjoy it....

I think you could add Ischia to your tour, it's an island near Capri and would provide some contrast.

and what about seeing some of the Cotswolds when you drive through England to London via Stonehenge?

From Paris, you could detour to the Loire Valley and or Normandy.

I really think you should try and squeeze in some more since your husband may not be satisfied with this lacklustre itinerary.

(MORE GRINS)

Jan 26th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Shain

Hi to the xx.author,
sorry I thought Cynthia IS concerned about what to do or how to get there.
So Im just helpful. Sorry, maybe do not understand correctly "pulling your leg"
Shain/Germany/Düsseldorf

Jan 26th, 2002, 06:16 AM
appalled

Cynthia: check into a nice hotel in your town, rent some European videos, get into bed, order room service and spend a week watching them. It'll be a lot better than this trip you're planning.

Jan 26th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Betty

In the immortal words of Johnny Mac - "You have GOT to be kidding!" I hope this is intended to be satirical. Just in case it isn't - "late afternoon in Barcelona and drive out and onward to Switzerland for the night"??? This is a MINIMUM 8 hr. drive with no stopping. Just one of many impossibilities.

Jan 26th, 2002, 06:59 AM
wes fowler

In response to your question: Would you do this itinerary? the answer is emphatically "NO"! You've omitted Helsinki on one afternoon, Bucharest on the morning of your fourth day and Cagliari between 2PM and 3PM on your fifth day. Poor, poor planning.

Jan 26th, 2002, 07:03 AM
xxx

Cyntia , this is fine, except it seems a shame with ten whole days you don't also make a stop to see Australia. You could do a flight going east from Europe and maybe land in Perth, then drive across Australia in the morning to see Sydney in the afternoon. This might also allow you to then hop over to China the next day on your way back to the US. Just seems a waste to spend the whole 10 days in Europe when there is so much world to see. Maybe if you missed the Blarney Stone in Ireland, you could squeeze in that extra day for Australia. And if you got a faster car so you could drive the Amalfi coast at a higher speed, it would allow time for the China segment. Just a helpful suggestion.

Jan 26th, 2002, 07:13 AM
cynthia

Well I take it from the tone of these messages that most would slow down. Since we already have air tickets reserved into Shannon and out of Rome I will figure on the removal of Naples from the itinerary? Madrid was high on my list since I wanted to add one new sight that I have never been to, however, I guess I could also cut Madrid and go straight for Barcelona?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO