Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would one still enjoy Lake Como in the rain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked the weather forecast for Lake Como at the end of this month. Looks like it's going to be raining the whole duration of my stay!! Do you think I'll still enjoy the visit in the rainy event??
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM

It is not the rain per se, it is the lack of visibility. I would not believe the forecasts and especially more than 3 days out.
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:42 PM

I wouldn't trust any weather forecasts. Two years ago I checked weather.com up to the morning I was leaving (London trip). The reports were always low 60s and thunderstorms. Knowing how chilling it can be when it's damp and raining we revised our clothing based on this to include jackets, fleece vests, gloves. I took out a lot of the warm weather cloths I had originally packed.

The weather was hot and no rain. We were glad we had a hotel with AC.

To answer your question, I didn't enjoy Lake Como in the rain. But you never know what the weather will be.
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM

Lake Como would not be alot of fun in the rain but I would also not believe any forecasts. We were there last year and the forecast was for rain all three days. We only had rain on one day and the other days were beautiful. The day it rained we spent shopping and had a nice long lunch. Good luck.
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM

When we were at Varenna when it rained, we hopped on the train and went on a day trip to Switzerland. It was misty, but still quite enjoyable. The rain kind of came and went.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I shall keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Cheers!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:25 AM

Isn't there a lot of "fashion outlets" to use the term loosely in the region? I remember staying in Lugano and a woman I met at the hotel bar spends all her time shopping for fabric and stuff at all of he fashion houses factories in Italy? Is this true?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:36 AM
Singletail

Personally, I think the term "fashion outlet" is oxymoronic unless you add the words "last year's..." or "second choice...." to the front of it..but I digress...never saw any when I was at mid-lake area but then again, it wasn't raining and I wasn't looking.
Enjoy the trip.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
ChatNoir

And let's all remember that you must never, ever wear "last year's or "second choice". One must keep up proper appearances you know.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM

Personally, I would be grateful to be at Lake Como in any kind of weather.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM

Lake Como does lose a lot of its appeal in bad weather because, as Bob says, you miss out on the spectacular views. I was once in Cernobbio for a week and on the one day it rained we were miserable. Luckily we had a car so we drove to Lugano and it was gorgeous there. I wouldn't put too much faith in weather forecasts more than a few days away but I was speaking to a friend yesterday whose neighbors are in Como right now and said the weather there this month has been awful--below freezing at night. Hopefully, it will improve soon.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

In fact when I called to confirm my reservation at the hotel I'll be staying, I enquired about the weather and the lady on the other line said that it was and has been raining the last couple of days.

I'm definitely there for the view cos I've heard of how beautiful the lake is. I'm still keeping my hopes high but if the weather doesn't improve, it's always a good reason to go back for another visit! I will try to enjoy this trip nevertheless. Thanks all for word of encouragement!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:46 PM

We stayed at Lake Como for 2 days last October. It did rain but not all day. We took a boat ride around the lake. It was still nice in the rain. Another day we took the train to Milan. It rained while we wer there but it still was worthwhile and very enjoyable.