Search

Worst priceline flight....?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst priceline flight....?

Hi all,

We will be visiting Europe (family of 4) in July and have been watching airfare for several months but have not really seen any prices below $1300. We did see a few in November in the 1000-1100 range but thought they would get better so we did not buy. We are going to try priceline to fly from Louisville Ky to Geneva and wondered what the worst case scenario we could expect? 3 layovers?,etc. Most of the International flights leave in the evening and land the following morning so I am not sure how bad that could be. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Tina
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM

When you bid on Priceline, you get to decide how many layovers you will accept. My guess is that from Louisville, you may be forced to accept two layovers if you want a successful bid.

I think Priceline has a policy of not allowing layovers of more than 6 hours, but you can check to see if that has changed. Hotwire had, and likely still has, a policy of allowing a layover of up to 18 hours. You will get a standard itinerary on one airline or with codeshare partners. It may have very tight (but legal) connections.

In any event, I would not expect a great deal from a Priceline bid for a flight.

I'd suggest being more flexible in your search if you can. Do you have to arrive in Geneva, or could you arrive elsewhere? Is there a larger nearby airport than Louisville that you could use? Etc.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Agree that you need to look at more pairs of airports to try to get better deals.

Don;t know exactly where you are but Cin has some direct flights to europe - and it might be worthwhile driving there to save all those changing planes/delays.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd definitely look for flights into other cities/countries. You can take trains or low cost airlines to Geneva from lots of different European gateway cities.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Why Geneva? Are you just visiting Switzerland?

Add Indianapolis and Nashville (along with Cincy)to your search before you try Priceline. Cincinnati fares have seemed higher than Louisville in the last year or two. July is high season so I don't think you will find any bargains.

Before you bid on Priceline, spend some time on www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com