Working in Spain?

Dec 12th, 2002, 10:40 AM
gabby

Working in Spain?

I am a 36yo doctor in the US and want to live and work in Spain, not necessarily in medicine. Any suggestions?

Dec 13th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Jean Valjean

Getting legal work status in the EU is kinda difficult... Unemployment rates (specially at a professiona level) are very high, so a company has an overwhelming amount of qualified candidates for any position, without the hassle of arranging work visas.

Would you consider setting up a business? That may be easier...

Dec 13th, 2002, 04:02 PM
gabby

To Jean Valjean (or anyone else with experience in Spain)- do you know of any US citizens that have managed to set up a business in Spain? I was considering starting some sort of wine-region tour company, but truthfully I would do any old thing to live/work in Spain.

Dec 14th, 2002, 03:07 AM
xxxx4

Go visit for a couple of weeks and get all your answers right "from the horse's mouth". That is, if you are serious about it. I would start by contacting the Spanish Embassy and getting information on working resident status and requirements, including permits to operate a business (what kind of business?). Check also with madridman.com. He is an American that knows Madrid very well, and could help you with recs for business/business people.

Dec 15th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Ben

Hi Gabby: Check out www.ricksteves.com
Go to Graffiti Wall. Then to Planning and Packing. Then click on Getting a Job in Europe.
Some ideas from other people...

Dec 15th, 2002, 06:25 AM
G.B.

Gabby:
My knowledge is second-hand, but my son worked in Barcelona for 3 years for a Spanish company and loved the country. He responded to an ad on his university's jobtrak. Work permits are very difficult to obtain and I think the company has to assert that the job cannot be filled by an EU member. He did not actually get his work permit until about 8 months after he got there and had to fly back to Miami and pick it up in person. In my son's case, the company needed a native-English speaking writer to research and write economic proposals. He indicated that many Americans teach English in language schools there. Also, have you considered working for an American company that would send you to Spain (e.g., teaching on an American military base). Good luck. GB

Dec 15th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Andrea

If you're a doctor practicing any outpatient specialty, you might be able to find a job as a doctor in an international clinic for expatriates in Spain. I know there is at least one in Madrid and there are probably others.

I work in marketing for an expat clinic in China and would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. I think you'll probably have better luck if you post your question (or look for information) on expatriate-oriented sites. You should be able to find plenty of information about finding employment in Spain as an expatriate, whether or not you want to practice medicine (which should be possible).

Good luck! The expatriate life is absolultely fabulous, and there are millions of Americans working all over the world - so it is possible!

Dec 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
HildaOgden

Also, take a look at www.multimadrid.com

Dec 16th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Lesley

Getting work as a doctor in Spain would be very difficult. How good is your Spanish? I know of an English lady doctor in the south who offers a medical translating service for foreigners; she will accompany them to hospitals or to the doctor's surgery and translate for them.

Dec 16th, 2002, 04:18 PM
gabby

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful suggestions. I promise you I am going to check out every last one of them. If I ever manage to find work there I will let you all know what route was successful. Muchisimas gracias!