Working for my home country from RO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an Australian citizen currently planning a trip to Europe in the second half of this year. As a part of this I'll be travelling around Europe with a Romanian citizen. I'll hopefully be there for up to 110 days, though that is not finalised yet. We're travelling to the UK (~10 days) and Schengen (~20 days) and then on to RO (~80 days). As I understand it, each of these is within their stay limits (RO doesn't count towards Schengen) and I won't need a visa for any of them.

This will consist of an initial holiday of 2-3 weeks around UK/Schengen, then heading to Romania where I'll be accomodated privately (travelling back into Schengen and maybe Turkey some weekends).

At this stage it's looking like my finances will be fine, but my issue is that I will only have 11 or 12 days leave at the time (hopefully I can extend this out to 3 weeks by working extra). After this time I will have to return to work to keep my job.

The plan we've formulated is that I will continue working for my AU company from RO for 80 days or so, as the nature of my work makes this totally possible. I haven't organised this with my boss yet because I want to have everything figured out first, but there's a good chance this will be fine.

My concern is whether I am allowed to undertake this work within RO without any kind of visa. As far as I can tell, the rules about working are for people looking for work and taking jobs from citizens, so they should not be relevant? Can you see any problems with this arrangement?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should ask the Romanian embassy in Australia, not a forum.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Legally there could be some issues (you might be expected to pay taxes), but practically I don't think you'll have any problems at all (unless you do something absurd like notifying the authorities that you're working).
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM

As long as you are still being paid in Australian currency and paying Australian taxes and not infringing in any way upon the Romanian employment scene, I can't imagine this would be a problem. I have worked all over the world when traveling (all I need is a computer and a cell phone), up to two months or so at a time, and no one is even aware of it most of the time.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Working is working - and anyone working while on a tourist visa is technically in breach of the terms they were admitted on. Most countries distinguish between doing business (like attending a conference or manning an exhibition stand) which, in most countries, is fine on a tourist visa, and working - which usually isn't

That principle applies to the affluent with a laptop just as much as it applies to waiters or roaddiggers. And the US and Australia apply the same principle Europeans do: it's irrelevant whether you're taking a job from a local, paying tax, or what currency you're being paid in.

Now immigration officials rarely interrogate about this (though it's rarely wise to admit you're speaking at a conference, especially if you're getting paid for it): but they may well be interested in how you're getting funded.

Frankly,I lie - though the question rarely arises, I've not avoided some work on holiday since laptops were invented. In non-Schengen Europe, the norm is to give most foreigners 90 days without question (assuming, BTW, Australians don't need visas. Most European countries don't make a fuss about Australia's one-sided attitude on tourist visas: but the ex-Communist countries may well be rather pricklier, so it's worth checking). No-one really asks you when you're going to leave.

But if you are asked any details, just tell them you're on holiday - and unless you do so very clumsily,no-one's going to probe further. Don't raise the issue of work at all: but make sure, just in case,that there's nothing in your briefcase or on your laptop referring to your intention to work
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM

<<Don't raise the issue of work at all: but make sure, just in case,that there's nothing in your briefcase or on your laptop referring to your intention to work>>

That's just patently absurd. Anyone who carries a laptop on vacation who actually holds a job or runs a business and uses the same laptop for that has probably thousands upon thousands of "references of intention to work" right on that machine. You think small business owners can travel for a few weeks without getting emails from clients? Inquiries about new jobs? Requests for quotes? Quotations from suppliers? Notices of upcoming offers?

What planet do you live on? Do you really think all or even most people stop working entirely when they travel? I should be so lucky.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I think it's a fair statement. There's common sense, and then there's the law.

Common sense is that RO would be benefiting economically from me that they wouldn't otherwise - the law may well be another matter. I had a feeling this might become about detection and attitude versus legality.

Anyway, in starting this thread I was looking as much for things to consider as much as for definitive answers (which is why I came to a forum). While I have checked I can enter RO, and intend to do lots more research, I certainly haven't been looking into Visas to get into AU, so it's a good thing to hear about the one-sidedness and something I might bear in mind when speaking to immigration officials.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM

"What planet do you live on? "

The same one any other business owner lives on.

Apparently unlike you, however, I know what sods immigration officials can be.

Entering Romania (or Australia, or the US) intending to work on a tourist or business visa is illegal. In theory, it can lead to imprisonment, and if discovered will lead to deportation.

By all means delude yourself. Indeed, with your Plastic Paddy passport, you're entitled to work in the EU anyway. But please refrain from giving other people downright wrong advice.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM
ira

Hi FS,

I agree with "I don't think you'll have any problems at all (unless you do something absurd like notifying the authorities that you're working)".

Check it out with your boss before you contact any officials.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:55 AM

This is about the biggest crock of sh*t I ever heard.

If you physically are in Romania but working in Australia, you aren't breaking any laws or rules.

The difference between being a paid speaker at a conference is that you are working IN that second country while via a laptop or phone you aren't. Jesus.

I have lived in Romania for 8 years and been working via the internet for years and it's zero problem or infringement upon any immigration rule or law whatsoever.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Fine.

Go to the Ministry of the Interior and tell them what you're doing

And you'll find:

1. Romania defines "work" in just the same way as the US. You're working in Romania - and unless you're a citizen
of an EU country, you're working illegally.
2. So you'll have about 0.9 nanoseconds to get out of the country.

I don't make these laws. But, apparently unlike you, I know what they are.