Reload this Page >

Women traveling alone

Search

Women traveling alone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Pat

Women traveling alone

Does anyone know if Turkey is friendly/accepting of women traveling alone? I believe women cover there. Is a woman uncovered hassled much? Will a head scarf do the job?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:49 AM
European

Pat, women don´t cover themselves in Turkey. OK, some more fundamental women in the countryside weat scarfs, but in truth veils became illegal already in 1930´s. The "founding father" of modern Turkey Kemal Ataturk banished veils. You don´t need a scarf or any other non-western covering. And women travel solo in Turkey all the time.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:58 AM
xxx

My husband and I went to Istanbul and even with him, men stared at me all the time. I wasn't dressed sleazy and looked about like any other American tourist. It bothered me at first but then I got used to it and had no problems. I saw plenty of veiled women and the men seemed to stare at them as well.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:07 AM
jen

Definitely take a scarf, you will need it to get into mosques and they are worth seeing wherever you are. If you travel alone, be aware that many Turkish women prefer skirts to pants and don't wear sleeveless tops, and that many men still think that W. European and American women are 'easy'. Act like you're not, and try to seek out contact with women: that is not always easy to do because the men are usually in a more obvious position to make contact with strangers (waiters, hotel managers, shopkeepers, carpet salesmen, etc.). Check out the website of the Artemis Guesthouse in Selcuk (near Ephesus); they have a lot of information about travel in Turkey, including the Turkish bath (hamam) for women.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Deb

Pat, I just returned from traveling in Turkey alone and found that there are women that cover but to different degrees. Many do not, especially along the coast. Many men try to strike up a conversation with you if you are by yourself and it gets very tiresome. I would recommend staying in Taxsim instead of Sultanhment if you are going to Istanbul. In Cappadocia they didnt try to talk to me as much but still watched you all time. I never felt threatened or unsafe but it can be unnerving. I bought a scarf but none of the mosques seem to require them anymore despite what the guidebooks say. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Pat

Many thanks, folks. Sounds like solo female travel is not a serious problem. Staring won't bother me at all as long as they don't follow up, pinch, hit, etc.<BR><BR>Sounds like a scarf is handy as good manners just in case. But it also doesn't sound like it's a must. Think I'll bring some. They'll be decoration until they're needed.<BR><BR>The womens' bath sounds like a great idea, Jen. Thanks to you and to all.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:08 AM
scarf

You´ll need the scarf to protect your head from sun, but for no other reason.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:02 PM
carol

I travelled with my husband but walked alone a few times. I personally did not feel that I was being stared at in Istanbul. However, I chose clothing that kept my shoulders and knees covered. You will find all kinds of dress by the locals in Istanbul, and about half of the women do not wear head scarves.<BR><BR>In Capadoccia, I felt that both men and women stared at me. I loved the women's interesting costumes in bright prints with loose-fitting, light-fabric, practical pants for working the fields.<BR><BR>Do wear a headscarf in a mosque. We saw tour groups who were not doing it, and I personally think that is as rude as showing up in a bikini in a conservative church.