Search

Headcoverings for women?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headcoverings for women?

Is it necessary/appropriate for female tourists to cover their heads with a scarf when entering mosques in Turkey?
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM

It's a idea good to have one in your bag, but we found only a few mosques absolutely required wearing these.

We didn't need at the Blue Mosque, but did at Suleimayan (sp). And, at smaller mosques outside of IST it was common sense to just simply wear the scarf.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:51 AM

howdy yellowfin - I ain't got nothin' else to do this evening so strolling through Fodors...A quick google search using terms : women travelling to turkey - returned many pages - this one seemed the least patronising

http://www.journeywoman.com/ccc/ccc-t2.html

Hi Sani, "Common Sense" - presumes common understanding and that isn't always so. Still if a large enoug scarf or sarong is worn around the soulders, one can cover up asap as circumstances require.

Patriarchs... gotta cover up for em! !
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thembi -- That website was excellent! I've forwarded it to the other women I'm traveling with also. Thank you for your research!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Thembi - believe we all know common sense is often lacking when it comes to travelers, regarding customs, propert attire, etc. Not so with "yellowfin" who knew to ask. The site you suggested is a good one for reference. And, even here the comments ran the gamut. While Islam is the major religion in Turkey, the country itself is secular. As one comments on journeywomen, depending on where in Turkey you can find everything: covered from head-to-toe, a half-length-type chador, a scarf, or only western attire. There are many secular Muslims in Turkey who do not adhere prayer, halal or covering up.

yellowfin - of course toss in one of your own scarfs, but there are plenty for purchase at all prices, from budget cotton, woven wools/poly and for something outstanding, find a Vakko shop where their silk scarfs put Hermes, Chanel, Dior and others to shame (and they're not that expensive, surprisngly).

You'll love your visit to Turkey - fascinating country and wondefully warm people.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Travelling in Turkey last spring, I found that, while it is not 'required' that women cover their heads when entering most mosques, it is much appreciated as a token of respect. Imams and other mosque officials thanked me more than once for covering my head, even in the Blue Mosque, which seems as much a tourist attraction as a place for prayer. Turkish women, whether dressed in secular clothing or more traditional clothing, and whether Muslim or not, all appeared to don scarves when entering a mosque. This was true throughout Turkey, even in Istanbul and the rest of the western part of the country, which is much more secular than Anatolia. In Anatolia I would have been very uncomfortable visiting a mosque without covering my head, much as I would feel very uncomfortable visiting St. Peter's in Rome in shorts and a tank top, if that were possible (which it isn't because I would be stopped at the door and turned away).