Women's shoe stores in Amsterdam & sizes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that sizes for clothing and shoes are generally bigger in Holland then other European countries. I am especially interested in shoes since I wear a size 12 (women's) and they're a bit hard to come by where I live (we'll be visiting Amsterdam in September).

Can anyone tell me whether size 44 for women are common in regular shoe stores in Amsterdam/Holland?

Thanks a lot
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Can't comment on Holland but I know that in Scandinavia the sample shoes shown in the store window are size 9 - versus a 5.5 or 6 in the US. (It's the only place I've ever felt short at 5'9').

I'm sure you can find some in Holland - but if this is such an issue why not buy on-line - where there is a much larger range of sizes. (I often have to do this since most stores no longer carry narrow.)
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler. Why don't I buy shoes online? For me, this is one thing I have to try on before I buy. After a number of foot surgeries, my feet unfortunately don't just fit into any shoe, and not all sizes are made the same. For instance, I have a number of shoes by Clarks. Recently, for some unknown reason, they're making their sizes are bigger, so if I went ahead and ordered a 12 now, they'd be too big (that'd be a first!).

In any case, I'm really looking to hitting the shoe stores. I know already that I'll be buying lots of funky socks (which I have more trouble finding here than shoes!)
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:33 PM

I recall seeing a shop called "Big Feet" on the west side of the centre on a street perpendicular to the main canals.

If you are visiting the UK or Ireland you wil be interested in Long Tall Sally. On Chiltern Street in London there are three shops for women with larger feet as well as an LTS. In Canada there is Tall Girl (also in USA) and Long Legs.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM

If you go to Zappos they pay for shipping to and fro - and they seem to have thousands of shoes from a lot of brand names. A friend of mine who wears an 11 uses them and says they're good.

I stick to Talbot's or Nordstroms' - since almost all their shoes come in narrow and usually fit me.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. However, Zappos doesn't ship to Canada (where I live) and I'm not planning on visiting the UK this year. I am very familiar with Tall Girl in Canada, and Tallcrest, their shoe chain.

What I'm really looking for here, as stated in my original post, is someone's experience with shoe stores in Amsterdam.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt - thanks