Women in Irish Pubs

Sep 17th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Women in Irish Pubs

Hi, Six of us (all women 40-50) will be in Ieland in Nov. is it ok for us to enter any pub for drinks? I have a birthday (wed 16th) while we are there and we had planned on having a good time at an Irish pub that night. I read on another post that women do not usually drink pints, they usually have cocktails or wine? Is it brash for women to drink pints and enjoy a night out at a pub?
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM

flagrl2001,

Trust me - this will not be a problem. Just do whatever you like (within reason of course ) & no-one will be bothered.

Have a look at this;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34672788

Jim
Sep 17th, 2005, 08:20 AM

I dont know where you got that kinda information, I'm an Irish woman and I promise you no body would ever dare to tell any Irish woman what she could and couldnt drink!!...Dont worry you will be absolutely fine drinking anything you want, no one will bother you at all. I hope you have a great time. Enjoy
Sep 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM

I know the pint rule for woman is followed in England also. I have a British female friend who always laughs when she sees NYC bars serving guiness in pint glass to both sexes. WHO CARES. Show them how woman can live LOL.

I always drink pints in both England and Ireland and I could care less what social rule I am breaking. No one giggles about it either except for friend from England. I don't think many first time travelers from US are aware of this rule and I am sure you will see plenty other U.S. females packing away the pints. Who cares its all alchohol and the pints are better value.
Sep 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Find a pub you like and don't give it another thought. No one else will, either.

I always drink pints in Ireland, and it's perfectly acceptable for women to do so. No one will think you're brash...unless you plan to do something a whole lot more brash than going to a pub and having a pint.