Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland to ban smoking in pubs and restaurants

Jan 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi there all!
Looks like the end of the fusion fragrance of beer and cigarettes. No more fogs of smoke while downing a pint and friendly requests for a light:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2003/0130/893533183HM1SMOKING.html

Good news for some, panic for others.
Happy Travels
Rick
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:24 AM

Rick,

I was in London over the past 2 weeks and on the morning talk shows this was the hot topic. They were doing polls of their viewers, and more than 2/3s of them were for the change - which I thought was weird because when we were in pubs, it seemed like 2/3s of the customers were smoking! A few pubs were so smoky my eyes would water, and I'm not overly sensitive to smoke!

Since I haven't been to Ireland yet, but plan to eventually, I am happy for the change.

Karen
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:44 AM
jor

second try.

Smokers think they have a God given right to light up wherever they want to.
They Don't. I have a right to down a pint and not breath their smoke. They force me to smoke. Can I force them to drink more than they want?
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:02 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the link to the story, Rick.

Re: '[Mr. Martin] also said publicans would have to provide smoke-free zones and that he was looking at banning smoking at bar counters due to the ill-effects of smoking on bar staff.' & 'The [bar workers'] union wanted an outright ban on smoking in pubs "in the interests of the health and safety of bar workers".'

I believe this was the primary rationale behind California's smoking ban, not to protect the health of customers but to protect the health of employees.

Jan 31st, 2003, 07:48 PM

Rick,

Whereas Americans gossip, discuss, and carp at the water cooler, the Irish do it at the pub.

Will a smoking ban have a negative impact on this cultural "water cooler"? Perhaps. But I must say my lungs feel better already. The excessive smoke from an Irish pub has for long been a drawback. Atmospherics and tradition have their place, but this friend of Ireland thinks good craic and a smoke-free environment can go hand-in-hand...just so long, that is, that no fine traditional musicians boycott the pub scene due to this new regulation. Now that really would be cause for alarm.