Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St, Petersburg: how do we get from airport to downtown hotel ?

Sep 17th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

We will be travelling with one piece of handluggage only.
Hotel, located just downtown in Nevskij Prospekt, would charge us US$ 43.00 one way.

Any bus or subway ? How much for a cab ?
Sep 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Unless you speak Russian I would not take the public transportation from Pulkovo to your hotel-it is very easy to get lost-nor would I get a taxi by myself at the airport (most are reliable, but I have heard many stories of drivers extorting people, and you really have no recourse).
Sep 17th, 2005, 09:53 AM

After 12 hours on a plane and enduring St. Pete's customs, it was a relief worth every penny (approx. $50) to have a polite, smiling face waiting to take care of us, and who dropped us at our hotel painfree (SAS Radisson at Nevsky Prospekt). If you know what are you doing, save $20 (maybe), otherwise, fork the money over.
Sep 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

that's why private arrangments with hotel transportation are so expensive !!

no we do not speak russian and it is our first trip to Russia !

thank you !

Sep 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM

If you know what you are doing you can do the trip from the airport for a couple of dollars using Bus/minibus and he metro. But if you have just come off a long flight and have a couple of suitcases arrange for a pickup at the airport which should be $20-25, you can book ahead online and not pay until you reach your destination. A taxi at the airport may cost you $50+. The cost of a taxi to the airport should cost less.
Sep 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

well we get used to travel independently through all 5 continents and we also got local public transportation in Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, Cape Town, Harlem (Manhattan) etc... We never had problems or feeling to be in potential danger.
I thought and hoped St. Petersburg might have been more or less the same !

but these MANY stories of people extorted by drivers concern me a bit. Probably It might have happened already or even more easily to us somewhere else in the past !

We just have one handbag (small trolley)each. That's why I was wondering for a bus or metro before paying $ 43 !
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:08 PM

From the international terminal (Pulkovo-2) you can take the bus (#13) or the minibus (T-13) to Moskovskaya ploshchad and the Moskovskaya Metro Station. From domestiv terminal (Pulkovo-1), bus 39 to metro. You will need roubles for the fare. On the metro it is 7-stops Gostiny Dvor/Nevsky Prosp.
Sep 17th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I, personally, would not want to walk down Nevsky with luggage! The cab is well worth it. Once you get into the hotel, you can easily move around the city using public transportation (and walking!). With luggage- IMHO it would be a bit of a pain.