winter in russia

Search

winter in russia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winter in russia

Want to go to Moscow and St. Petersburg. I don't mind the snow or cold. Is it ridiculous to consider going two weeks before Christmas? Found some awesome airline prices at that time. But I don't want to be buried under 100 feet of snow and found in the Spring either. Is it safe for a single woman to travel in Russia?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM
ira

If I recall correctly, Charles V, Napoleon I, and Hitler found the Russian winter to be overwhelming.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 02:32 PM
ira

BTW,

Which Christmas? Western or Orthodox?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Don;t think the snow will be an issue - there are armies of state employees clearing it constantly. but the cold might be something else again. A close friend of mine went in January and said the cold (vs New York) was incredible - you really needed long undies, mink coat and hat, ski gloves , scarf etc and could still go outside for only about 5 minutes at a time.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Western Christmas - I'm from Indianapolis & Upstate New York so I'm used to cold but not the kind you can only stay out in for 5 minutes. Doesn't have to be December - wanted the offseason rates and thought maybe Christmas decorations would be up in December. Think November would be a better choice?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:25 PM

I was in St Petersburg in early September and a couple of days were warmer (jean jacket and sweater weather) but several days the highs were in the low 40's. Sorry - I haven't been in November.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:53 PM

I've been to Russia (St Petersburg and Moscow) in Feb. It was REALLY cold but a wonderful trip. Being from CA I didn't even have an innerlined coat - but managed just fine. You will need silk or thermal long underwear. But most bldgs are if anything over heated so layers is the way to go. You don't feel the cold as much as you'd imagine because it is so cold nothing gets slushy and your feet don't ever get wet.

I had a normal wool coat, long underwear, lined gloves, warm socks and tights, and scarves/mufflers. I took a wool knit cap and bought a fur hat there. I walked around outside a lot and the cold was totally manageable.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:41 AM

I've been to Sankt Peterburg and Moscow many times. Summer, Winter , Spring and Fall. I've found extremely weather to be all over the map. From bone chilling cold in January to unseasonable hot in mid April and early May. Regarding snow: Although the streets may not be cleaned so well in Moscow and SP the sidewalks are usually cleaned quite well.
Two weeks before Christmas will be a great time to go to Russia. Besides, there is something nostalgic about experienceing Russia in the Winter. Just take enough warm coat, water proof boots, had gloves and etc. I was there recently and did not take enough clothes. Suffice it to say, it turned cold and I had to trek to Gums to get some.
If you are going alone, and do not know Russian you may be well advised to line up a guide of some kind. At least until you have your bearings and feel comfortable. If you have some friends there that can meet you it would be best. I have never felt unsafe in Moscow or Sankt Peterburg. It is like traveling to anyother big city, in the US or otherwise. Caution is the watch word of the day. Especially for all women who are traveling alone.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 12:43 AM

I travelled to Russia by myself last Dec. It was a safe trip and the view was amazing when everything is under the snow!

I've written a post with travel tips, please take a look:

http://travellingwandering.blogspot....nter-tips.html

Cheers, Betty