Wineries in Florence

Search

Wineries in Florence

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wineries in Florence

Will be in Florence from Dec. 25-27th and would love to go to a tasting at a winery while there. Anyone have suggestions for a place to go and best way to get there? Also, do I need to call/email to make a reservation? Are wineries open for tours during that time of year (winter/christmas)? Anyone with experience during this time of year? What do they usually cost?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Christmas and the day after are two of the rare days in Italy where everything comes to a standstill and nearly nothing is open. You will find tourist services in Firenze, and you may find some wineries that are agriturismi/hotels in Fiesole that are serving food and wine -- although I am not sure you would be able to get a tour of the winery.

Enoteca Italiana in Siena is the regional authority on regional wines and arranges wine tours. E-mailing them with your questions -- or planning to visit them in December -- may be the best way to go about this

http://www.enoteca-italiana.it/w2d3/...ca/esc_en.html
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM

I don't profess to be all knowledgeable about this subject but do have some experience. There are no "wineries" in Florence but there are enotecas or wine bars where you can sample and taste wines. Try Frescobaldi for a high end place which I believe is near Piazza Signoria. Cantinetta Verrazano is another which offers their wines. I believe Antinori is another label with a very upscale venue. These 3 offer their own wines in an environment which includes food service. Also their are numerous small and some "hole in the wall" types of places with many, many choices to try.

Of more serious concern would be your actual time of the year. I haven't been in the city on Christmas Day but can't imagine much being open and that may affect the 2 succeeding days.
Cin Cin! Paul
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Frescobaldi is on via Magazzini, just off Piazza Signoria. I don't know if it is open on Christmas. They have a website, as do most these places mentioned.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:40 AM

RE: Enoteca Italiana--I don't recommend this place 1) its in Siena and in a fortress surrounded by a large parking lot; 2) my experience with it has been dismal--lots of showcase wines with impersonal staff, obviously set up for large tour groups and "official" functions; 3) expensive. Its clearly endorsed by the italian powers but fails to be user friendly for private individuals.

A much better option outside of Florence is in Greve--le Cantine di Greve in Chianti www.lecantine.it Approximately 100+ wines available for tasting but no "tours". Uncertain about its being open in your time period.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM

But the Enoteca might know which wineries in the area would receive people in that time frame, and e-mailing solves the parking lot problem. (Most things in Siena and Tuscany are in a fortress.)
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

thank you to all your replies! I'm kinda bummed knowing that during the time of year that I'm in Florence I will most likely be seeing many signs saying "closed", but hey! that's just another excuse to go again!!! If anyone has suggestions on some good (especially cheap) wines that we should try when we are there please let me know!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Try Casa del Vino on the backside of the San Lorenzo market at Via dell Ariento 16 red. He always has a number of bottles open and will make panini as well-the locals are always stopping by.

Uncertain of your palette but most of the Rosso di Montalcinos are good these days and considerably cheaper than their bigger, older brothers--Brunello. Chiantis are generally as good as you pay for with some nuggets in the lower price range. Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is a good option as well. All of these are widely available in the enotecas and wine shops of Florence and you can always buy a bottle in a wine shop or super mercato and drink in your hotel. Cin Cin!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try Enoteca Fuori Porta.
http://www.fuoriporta.it/index.php?l=ita&p=esterni

Here's are review from Frommers.
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...ce/D34493.html

If you want to sample a few on the go very cheap, it's always fun to stop by I Fratellini. Here's a very short video about it.
http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...=&ref_item=200

A review on Frommers.
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...ce/D53840.html