Wine tasting in Lyon

Search

Wine tasting in Lyon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine tasting in Lyon

We will be in Lyon for 2 days and wish to go to some wineries for tastings while we are there. Can anyone recommend any wineries to visit? Also, are reservations required? <BR><BR>I did do a search and did not find much in regards to specific wineries to check out. We will also be heading to Beaune after Lyon.<BR>Thx
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:59 AM

I assume you did a search on Beaujolais. There are wineries you can go to, but I don't know about reservations. I'm sure this isn't at all what you are looking for, but it's something you might have to settle on) is the Georges du Boeuf place outside of Lyon. The displays can get a little hokey, but you can taste several wines at the end -- and it ends (naturally) in the store. LyonVision does a bus tour of the Beaujolais area along with the GdB place.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

I suppose I should've offered more information.<BR><BR>We are interested in tasting wines of Rhone as well as Beaujolais. Ideally, I would like to have plans/arrangements with a 'better' producer and then can hit other wineries as we wish. We will have a car so transport will not be an issue. <BR><BR>Although, the bus tour might not be so bad of an idea...
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:10 AM

Just an interesting aside: My first introduction to Lyon was with my daughter's host family who lived nearby. They told me that there are actually three rivers in Lyon; the Rhone, the Soane, and the Beaujolais. I know that on subsequent trips I have made significant &quot;dives&quot; into that third river!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:13 PM

Shopgirl,<BR>Some things to consider if you want to taste wine. You will need the use of a car to get to your destinations. Most of the producers speak only French, so you will need to be able to converse with them. Reservations are essential at many of the top producers in the N. Rh. especially Cote Rotie and Condrieu as they are very busy and not set up for daily tours. Reservations will also require a phone call to the winery to set your date. I highly recommend a visit with M. Ogier and the Jamet brothers in Ampuis for exqusite CR. Ampuis is about a 30-40 minute drive from Lyon. Condrieu is about 15-20 minutes from Ampuis. In Condrieu Cuilleron (actually in Chavanay) and George Vernay are great producers. If you make it to Tain you can visit Chapoutier and make a reservation via the internet. Do some web searching and you should find most of the info you need. In Lyon visit the flying sommelier on the rue de Beouf in the viuex section. They might be able to further assist you.<BR>Bonne chance,<BR>Gregg