Search

Lyon or Dijon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Kathleen

Lyon or Dijon

We are planning to travel from Paris to Geneva (via train) and want to stop on the way to either Dijon or Lyon. I am leaning toward Dijon b/c of the wineries and gastronomy. I haven't found as much info on Lyon as I had on Dijon. Does anyone prefer one city over the other?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Graziella

Hi I prefer Lyon. Lyon is a fantastic destination with one of the best gastronomic offers in all France....!<BR>There is a site by the site of Lyon which is very useful...I do not have the address now but you can easly find it ..cheque the Bon Week end at Lyon ( also available at Dijon) if you happen to be there Friday, Saturday or Sunday you can pay for one night and stay two in most hotels. Including very nice ones.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Chris

Lyon -- it's the gastronomic capital of France. Beaujolais to the north. More to see historically.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Gaia

Hi, I prefer Dijon it,s smaller and prettier. There are good cooks there too.....

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Gregg

Kathleen:<BR>I just got back from Lyon (among other places) and felt it was likely the highlite of our trip. Lyon is very walkable, although they do have a metro. Roman ruins, museums, wonderful city fell though much different than Paris. The food is some of the best we had on our trip. Although I missed Dijon, I was in Beaune and enjoyed it too, though I would vote for Lyon as my most liked destination. If you like burgundy wines more than the rhone varietals, Dijon may be more to your liking. I am a huge fan of Condrieu, Cote Rotie, Cornas, Hermitage, etc... and chose Lyon because of its proximity to these appellations. In any event you cannot go wrong with either city. A word of advice, if you plan to visit wineries you will need a car or the use of a taxi (expensive) to visit. Make arrangements ahead of time, as many of the premier crus will only see you by appointment. One more thing, if you go to Lyon, do not miss dinner at Les Adrets on rue de Boeuf in the vieux across the river. Absolutely stunning meal-reservation essential. Visit the "flying sommelier" just a few doors down for a great selection on wines by the bottle. Bon voyage-Gregg

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Luis Vernon

Kathleen:<BR><BR>Comparing Dijon to Lyon is like comparing apples to oranges..almost! Lyon is a major food, wine, museum city that has it's charms, but for all intents and purposes, it is quite urban (and urbane!!)Dijon on the other hand, is small, rural and delightfully Burgundian. In order to see the adjacent villages/towns to near Dijon, you really need a car i.e Beaune, Chagny, etc. If you crave something small and intimate, Dijon and environs is the place to go..<BR><BR>Good luck...