Will we be in Venice long enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Europe and I am a little worried because we will be in Lucerne, Switzerland for 3 full days and after our train trip we will arrive in Venice at 230pm on a Sunday. After planning our trip we will have less than half a day on Sunday and 1 full day on Monday before we set off for another destination. (totaling only 1 1/2 days in Venice). I am worried because I don't want to feel rushed and we want to fully enjoy what Venice has to offer. My question is...Is this long enough or should my husband and I cut down half a day in Lucerne to arrive at 7or 8pm in Venice on sat to have 2 full days?...and will water taxis still be running if we choose to do so?
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM

If you can cut a day in Lucerne, do. 1.5 days for a first trip to Venice is not enough time, especially if you don't want to feel rushed. I've been to Venice 3 times from 2-4 days each time and still haven't seen everything I want to.

Yes, water taxis will be running. You can check out http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng, the website of one of the water taxi companies, for information. You can even purchase a ticket online and print a voucher to give your driver although I have never done this.
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one can really answer your question until you tell us a few more things.

When are you planning this trip?

Where are you staying in Venice?

What is it you want to see and do?

Do you want the pokey, slow town of Luzern (I have been here many times) and its beautiful lake and excursions to Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis, boat ride on Lake Luzern OR would you prefer the cultural aspects (museums, architecture, palaces, churches, etc.) of Venice?

If you are going to Venice in June, July, or August, you will experience what I call a "tsunami" of tourists in the San Marco area. All these tourists will slow you down. Think long lines, packed cafes, lines to use WC, etc.

Lots of cruises stop in Venice, when all the boats unload their tourists for the day, WATCH OUT.

Venice is very nice at night and early in the morning when all these tourists leave. This is when Venice is magic!

Thingorjus--posting in Fodorville for 10+ years
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Are you sure water taxi is the right choice for you. I t makes sense if you want to arrive in grand style - across the bacino or down the Grand Canal, and yuor hotel has a private dock. If it doesn;t have one - you will be let off somehwere nearby (check the hotel's mpa carefully) and will still have to haul your luggage through the streets and possibly over one or more birdges.

We do water taxi on arrival and departure - since I don;t want to cope with luggage on the vaporetto - and feel the cost is worth it - but we have always stayed at a hotel with a private dock. That way the taximan rings the hotel's bell at the dock and a bellman comes down to get your luggage.

And yes. much as I like Lucerne a day less there and one more in Venice makes a lot of sense.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies and help. We will be there during high season. My husband and I love the outdoors. I think most of what we will do is roam the streets and soak in the sights. We aren't much for staying indoors although we will tour one or two of the main attractions. We were told by other family members to be up early and stay out late to experience the best of Venice with less people. We will also be staying in the San Marco area and are taking hiking packs to avoid pulling suitcases through the streets.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM

The area around Piazza San Marco is awfully busy in the high season. Ditto around the Rialto. Consider looking for accommodation a little away from these areas. Venice is a small place. Practically anywhere except the Giudecca is easily walkable.
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you like the outdoors, get a vaporetto to Burano and thence the little ferry to Torcello. you won't escape all the crowds, but you'll certainly enjoy the trip.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM

We got back from Venice a week ago...the area around San Marco was already too crowded for may taste..
We had two full days , could Have used a couple more, but we did see "inside"
a few churches and a palaces..
We stayed on St. Elena and loved it. Also, Lido was surprisingly good spot to wonder around.
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM

I would cut a day in Lucerne. I don't think the half day you are counting on will be a full half day, by the time you arrive and get your luggage to your hotel and then eat you will have a few hours in Venice that day. Luzerne is beautiful but Venice has more to do.
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM

If you can spend an hour or two on Burano for the photos of the colorful reflections of buildings in the water... and grab a vaporetto after dark to tour Venice with the lights reflecting off the grand canal!
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM

In case it wasn't clear:

Water TAXI = motoscafo = private boat you hire for door-to-door service = very expensive

Water BUS = vaporetto = public boat making many stops along Grand Canal = affordable

Both types of boats will be available if you arrive at 7 or 8 pm.
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM

We used vaporetto several times very day....it is often very crowded . For those with a lot of luggage
not a great experience.
12 hour ticket, allowing unlimited rides, is 16 euros. Not cheap.
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:59 PM

16 euros for 12 hours of unlimited rides in a vaporetto is much cheaper than 50 euros for one ride in a water taxi.
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Of course vaporetto is cheaper.....the city bus anywhere is cheaper than a taxi. No?

We never used a water taxi, but for some people with a lot of luggage and a hotel near water it might
be a better option.
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:56 PM

I loved arriving into Venice on a private water taxi. We did stay at a hotel without a private dock and had no issues what so ever. I have never looked back and regretted spending the money. But each person has to pick their own experiences.

I would cut a day from Lucerne if it was me. I found it a little too relaxing and I don't do well in that kind of environment.

Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cut a day in Lucerne and when you DO get to Venice, go to San Marco at dusk (at least once)....most of the crowds are gone and you'll learn why the place is magical.

Why do people who go to San Marco find it crowded? Because they went there, too.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM

No, not enough time. And don't stay around San Marco.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM

San Marco is crowded partly because of the huge number of groups.....many in Venice just for a day, often from boats carrying thousands.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:00 AM

A water taxi to arrive in Venice from the airport is always one of our splurges. Fun, fast, convenient. Expensive.

No, you don't have enough time in Venice. We spent 4-1/2 days on our first trip and didn't see half the sights we wanted to as we kept getting distracted as we roamed the city.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM

The OP seems to be arriving in Venice by train, very different than trying to get to Venice proper from the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -