Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will Tylenol PM help me get a few winks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a cross country trip on Friday, I will be flying from NYC to Rome the following day. I am not a big "pill" taker ( and I never seem to be able to doze off on a plane even if I have a glass of wine) but I really would like to have at least a couple of hours sleep heaing to Europe. Has anyone tried Tylenol PM? A friend suggested it but I'd leke to know if anyone has tried this and if there was any reaction. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Take it once at home first to see how it affects you. Tylenol PM or Advil PM both work for me - but I have a friend who swears she gets more wired/restless when she takes it.

Everyone is different . . .
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM

I fly to Europe often (from NYC) and always have difficulty sleeping on the plane. Personally, otc sleep meds don't work for me but for many people they do. I think Tylenol PM has a plain version that doesn't have pain medicine included. The bigger issue is whether you'll end up groggy once you land (no fun, especially if you're unable to check into your hotel until the afternoon). Why not try it before you go to see the effects they may have on you (if any)?

I find that bringing a good sleeping mask, neck pillow (if not in first class) and noise cancelling headphones help me relax even if I don't sleep during the flight.

Good luck and happy travels.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM

I use Benadryl, or some equivalent. Works fine for me, but like janisj's friend, Tylenol PM seems to make me less sleepy.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM

I take Excedrin PM, but it's basically the same thing. The main ingredient in either Excedrin PM or Tylenol PM is the same ingredient in Benadryl, so just get whatever's cheapest.

Agree that you should take it at home first. I have no problem with it, but you might.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Tylenol PM is a combination of Tylenol and Benadryl (just checked the label.)
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Actually, I should have said a combination of Tylenol and diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Benadryl.)
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM

If you are going to take a sleeping aid, why compound possible problems with a pain reliever if you don't need one? I don't believe in anyone taking pain meds for no reason, and Tylenol and cause more stomach problems than some other ones. My BIL just got a bleeding ulcer due to taking too many aspirin. Pain meds can irritate your stomach or worse, as well as your liver. I just don't understand why people push pain meds for sleeping pills, there are plenty of ones without them.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Before my trips I visit my Dr. and get sleeping pills that I break into two pieces. I can sleep for 3/4 hours per each 1/2. Once back home I may finish them off over a year. But I only take a dozen or so. I find a whole pill on the first night really puts me into a nice deep sleep and I feel refreshed the next morning.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM

No one is "pushing" pain meds, Christina. I just told the OP that Benadryl would work just as well as the Tylenol PM.

And there is nothing wrong with taking pain meds as long as you follow the recommended dose.

You already said your BIL took "too many" aspirin. He probably would have been fine if he had only taken the recommended dose.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM

I am like janisj's friend so I give another vote to try what you think you want to take while flying while at home several days before your flight chestnut.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Well, I never sleep on planes and the only time I have ever taken sleeping meds they gave me terrible nightmares. BUT I have found something that helps me get at least semi-sleep. Since I sleep on my stomach it has been impossible to get comfortable leaning back (well actually sitting straight up) so now I put down my tray table, put my large tote bag (or you could use a computer case) on it, lay my little pillow on top of that, put on my eye mask, put my head down on this with my arms tucked under and I can actually sorta sleep. Hope this helps!
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM

OTCs have never worked for me, at home or on a flight. If I do get any sleep with them, I wake up feeling very groggy and disoriented. I always take Ambien, as prescribed by my doctor, when I fly but its not for everyone. As with the suggestions above, definitely try out any method at home so you don't find out about a nasty side-effect on your flight.

Tracy
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM

We (family of 4) each do a different "drug" to help with sleeping - my point being that what works for one may not work for all. Friends swore by Excedrin PM, which I tried and it definitely made me more jumpy. So my daughter takes regular dramamine (be sure you DON'T get the "non drowsy" formul). Son takes benadryl, I used to take Xanax for fear of flying but I'm fine now and can fall asleep on my own. Husband tried every over the counter and non-medical way to sleep and the ONLY thing that works for him is Ambien. He takes one on the plane and one the first night and then he is set for the trip. This was a big lifesaver for us because he used to be unable to sleep at all and was basically sick for the first 2 days of our trips.

And whatever you decide to try, OTC or Rx - be sure to try it out at home first.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM

The posters above are correct: the "pm" is just Benadryl. If you don't need the pain control, just take Benadryl. But there is a rather significant proportion of people who get "wound up" rather than sedated from diphenhydramine (particularly children and the elderly) and so you should try this at home before counting on it for sleep.

And, yes, generic diphenhydramine is often a fraction of the cost of products like Simply Sleep--which is the exact same thing.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM

You want to sleep? Fly during your normal sleeping period. Don't take an afternoon flight to Europe. Take the last flight out. Next, take a valerian capsule. It is a natural herbal relaxant that has been known for milleniums. On the plane ask for two shots of whatever booze you drink. Then ask for a bottle of wine to go with your pasta. You will sleep about 4 or 5 hours on a full belly. I flew over 4 times in the last year and this works for me. The breakfast call wakes me up. All this yakkity about avoiding alcohol is nonsense. I have no jet lag at all.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I'm another person who doesn't find diphenhydramine (Benadryl et al.) the least bit sleep-inducing. I have tried dramamine and found that it made me drowsy, but also gave my stomach cramps. And valerian doesn't see to do a thing except give me nightmares. Melatonin is similarly ineffective. Alcohol puts me to sleep, but doesn't keep me asleep and I do end up a bit worse for wear.

Ambien (prescription) works well for me, but you should do a trial run in advance (for anything you're considering using) to see how it works for you. I take the latest flight possible, eat dinner before boarding, and take the Ambien on an empty stomach. Ear plugs and eye shades help tremendously---I've actually started using ear plugs at home and find that I sleep much, much better. Adjusting your wake and sleep time for a few days in advance of your trip will also help reset your clock.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Whatever you use, I suggest you try it out ahead of time. I once gave my quiet well-behaved 2 year old Bendryl for an overseas flight (pediatrician's suggestion - don't ask my why I did it!) and she was HYPER all the way across the Atlantic Ocean!
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Hi, Chestnut, I too can't really sleep on planes. I've tried Tylenol PM as well as a friend's prescription sleeping pill (I know, I know, I shouldn't) and neither put me to sleep.

The thing that has kind of started to work for me is to realize that this is a psychological thing--plenty of humans can sleep on planes just fine, right?--and so I bring things that make me more comfortable (neck pillow, eyeshade, earplugs). Then I just say, I'm going to rest, and I see what happens. Lo and behold even though I don't feel like I actually slept, I can't really account for the time that's passed, so I know I caught a few winks. Not sure that this actually makes me feel more rested, but it makes time pass more quickly on the long flight.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM

What about Dramamine? It should make you drowsy and will help any airsickness. Better yet, if you know someone going to the UK soon, have them bring you back some Nurofen Plus (basically each pill is an Advil plus 12.5 ___ of Codeine). That'll knock you on your derriere.

I know someone who gets real edgy on Tylenol PM and won't take the dang things. I know someone else who took Ambien and started hallucinating.

Different people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -