Search

Will there be mosquitoes in.......?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will there be mosquitoes in.......?

Hello everyone
I will visiting the Valle d'Aosta; Lake Maggiore; Lake Como; the Dolomites in late July/early August this summer.
Are mosquitoes a problem in any of these areas at this particular time of year? I need to be suitably prepared if they are!!
What do you find to be most effective in keeping the little monsters at bay and also for treating the bites if unlucky?
Thank you!
Pam
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:07 AM

Try a DEET product. Repellents evaporate and often in a short time. Mix the DEET with Vick's Vapor Rub. It has a high melting temperature and will last a long time. If you use a spray type; spray repellent into your free hand and then apply it from that hand.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Do not use cologne, perfume, hair spray, or (if a man) after shave lotion. Rubbing alcohol is OK.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I don't know about the Lakes, but we have been to the Dolomites several times a little later in August, and have never seen one there. We were up on the hiking trails, which are quite dry, but there were no mozzies in the towns either.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Pam, I can relate as mosquitoes and "no-see-ems" love me as well. Deet is horrible for you. Deet and Vick's Vaporub sounds like a real mess, plus you would stink-up a storm.

Avon has a wonderful product which comes in a spray can or convenient individually wrapped towelettes. It really works and comes in two, I believe, different scents. I prefer "Gentle Breeze". It is called Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard plus IR3535. The towelettes are easy enough to pack and are very light.

Enjoy your trip! Sounds terrific!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Hopefully DeirdreStraughan will pop up and take a look at your question...she lives in that area.
Lake Como can be quite breezy at night and if it is while you're there, that will keep the outdoor mosquitoes at bay.
Generally, I don't think any of the areas you mentioned are too mozzie infested. However, I find there are always one or two lurking in the bathroom (esp. the shower stall or under the toilet) who like to take a nice chomp while I'm in the shower. Not much I can about that except give the bathroom a once-over before I bathe and squoosh any I happen to find. And hope that they bite me in a place that isn't TOO awkward to scratch.