Search

Wicklow???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicklow???

I'll be returning to Ireland in October and would love some advice.

I'm in love with the Antrim Coast, so after sightseeing and working in Dublin for three days, I'll be heading to see friends in Belfast, and then on to my favorite place -- Limepark Cottage in Armoy. That leaves me about four or five days to fill.

I don't want to do a tremendous amount of driving. I've done wonderful, but exhausting, trips to Ireland, where it seemed all I did was drive hours and hours from one place to the next.

So what do you think about spending 4 or 5 days in Wicklow?

If that sounds good, can you recommend any special places to stay? We love self-catering with lots of charm and character -- and castles.

Also, any sightseeing suggestions would be welcome.

Or ... instead of Wicklow, is there someplace else (within a couple of hours of Dublin) we should consider???

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM

I love Wicklow. Great mountain scenery, some interesting towns/villages, good gardens, good walks, lakes, a few buildings to visit, lots of sheep. Not too many castles, but you do have the beautiful monastic site at Glendalough.

I'd stay in or near Glendalough for two reasons: (1) it is a good centre from which to make short expeditions; (2) you can visit Glendalough itself before the hordes of day-visitors arrive.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I lived in County Wicklow 40 years ago and still go back for visits, so I'm a bit partial to the area.

I second Padraig's idea of Glendalough, an absolutely magical place.

Also suggest Powerscourt Gardens and waterfall. The waterfall is not exactly a booming torrent, but it is the tallest in Ireland and the setting is lovely. The last time I was there 10 years ago, there were public bathrooms, icecream and soft drink vendors, and a lot more visitors, but it was summer and by October, it should be quieter especially during the week. Maybe Padraig could fill you in better on the present status.

If you are a fan of the PBS show Ballykissangel, Avoca village is where it was set.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM

It's more than 10 years since I was at Powerscourt! Lovely spot. Must go there again soon.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Songdoc,

I loved my too short of a stay in County Wicklow. We stayed in Hunter's Hotel in Rathnew and we were very comfortable, it's old, creaky, has lovely gardens, great food and the family take really good care of you. The only draw back, it's right on the road. One of those with the hedges and walls, we were afraid to walk. We took days trips and wished we'd had more time than 4 days. It's a lovely area of Ireland.

Good luck on the plans, and we'll await the few months for a trip report.

Joan
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. It's exactly what I was hoping for.

Hunter's Hotel looks fantastic, but I'm afraid it is a bit out of my price range. Traveling with two companions @ 95 Euro per night, I'd be looking at more than $400 U.S. per night.

We'd love to find a quaint, old building converted into self-catering, similar to Limepark (Limepark.com). There seem to be a few contenders in Co. Wicklow -- but so far, haven't found anything near Glendalough.

Any suggestions of places to stay would be much appreciated. By the way, my partner and I are going to be taking his sister to Ireland for her 60th birthday. Tomorrow, we're going to spring the surprise!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM

I have stayed in the Glendalough Hotel -- an old building with a modern extension, interesting dining room with food good, location excellent, prices not too steep. http://www.glendaloughhotel.com/

Or you could dig through this: http://www.glendalough.connect.ie/pages/bb/BBlinks.html
Look particularly for Glendalough or Laragh as an address.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Songdoc, I helped you with your trip to the Antrim Coast, Is this another music festival?

You have picked my favorite place in all of Ireland. Sorry but I can't recommend anywhere to stay as I have a friend who lives in Dalkey and when I visit him I just drive to my favorite places in Co Wicklow.

To add to the above which are a must see (IMO), I would like to add Enniskerry (lovely little village) Greystones (seaside town) and walking in the Wicklow Mountains.

I hope you have a wonderful 4/5 days in Co Wicklow.

Helen
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM

We stayed at Cherrybrook B&B a lovely setting just outside Avoca. Comfortable lodging, and great breakfast, and friendly hostess. A beautiful area,and is near the Avoca Handweavers...toured the factory, and then went to the gift shop/restaurant. Also good fish and chips at the small restaurant by the bridge/river. We got pints accross the street at the Pub, and carried them over to the restaurant to have with our fish and chips, and returned the empties to the pub! Avoca is located about an hour drive south of Glendaloch, if I remember right.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

Helen -- obviously, your suggestions re: the Antrim Coast were terrific -- because I'm looking forward to returning! What a beautiful area.

The Glendalough Hotel received some horrid reviews at TripAdvisor and I'm still combing through the websites for the perfect, charming, old self-catering cottage.

I've sent an inquiry to one of the lodgings on the website suggested by Padraig -- and will keep you posted!

By the way, the "surprise" was unveiled yesterday - and you probably could have heard the shrieks all the way in Ireland!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM

Hope to go to Wicklow in the spring. Is the end of April/early May a good time to go?
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Yes, this is related to my songwriting. I'll be teaching a master class in Dublin ... but I'll need at least a week of sightseeing ... um, er ... to adjust to the time change ;-)