Wicklow Gardens Worth our Time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. 6 of us in our early 30s will be traveling from Dublin to Kinsale in one day. The deal is that one of our friends, must go to Waterford "on our way." We also want to go to Wicklow that same day to visit the gardens/view the beautiful mountains. My question is, is Wicklow worth that 2-3 hour stop, when we'll also be stopping in Waterford on our way to Kinsale? Or should we skip Wicklow, go to Waterford and then to Kinsale to have more time in Kinsale? We'll only be in Kinsale 2 nights (so, one full day). And please don't suggest not going to Waterford - I already feel that way, but it's not an option. So, Wicklow or not?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I am partial to County Wicklow for many reasons and on many levels. If it were me I'd say to GO there and have a great time. Wicklow is not called The Garden of Ireland for naught. I visit Glendalough every time we go (6 trips in the last 8 years) and I absolutley love the lonely back roads of the bog, too, between Wicklow and Sally Gaps. You can drive the coast road down to Waterford which is a lovely drive as well. Many here post about how great Kerry is (and it is!) but I'll take more lonely stretches of road to tour buses and congestion any day of the year.

Whatever you decide I'm betting you will have a great time!

Cheers,
wendy
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:22 PM

I just got back from a 3 week trip to england and Ireland (my 6th trip to Ireland). We spent 3 days in Wicklow -the gardens festival is all summer long. My favorite gardens are Powerscourt - grand and formally elegant; and Mount Usher - a naturalistic more wild feeling. I've photos taken last week if you'd like to check them out!
http://community.webshots.com/album/75703013mhLGeG
Although I wouldn't miss it for the world, I think this sounds like a bit of an adventurous day - far more than you can comfortably enjoy. Dublin to Kinsale is at least a 5 hour trip without stopping to see anything if you drive through Wicklow and Waterford!
Does your friend know that Waterford costs the same everywhere in Ireland - you can get it cheaper at the Shannon airport since you can get it totally duty-free - the cash back/VAT charges an administration fee so you don't get all of your tax money back! We toured the Waterford factory again (my 2nd time, and my friend's 1st time) - she really wanted to see it - we both agreed we could have spent that time better on other places!
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
kathy
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:37 PM

I too think the sights in Co. Wicklow are very worth it. I'm like Wendy in that I can't imagine going to Ireland without a visit. It's going to be a long long day though.

By the way, if you're friend is interested in Waterford purely for the crystal factory, you may want to dangle the fact that there are also crystal factories in Tipperary, Near Clonmel and Carrick and a smaller, more unique crystal maker in Kinsale. Also Galway Crystal (guess where?) if you're doing the circuit after Kinsale.

If it's crystal shopping, well you can buy Waterford at home... but you can't necessarily get these other crystal maker's wares.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Clifford is right - why not go to a small independent crystal maker! Kinsale is perfect! check out this website -
http://www.kinsalecrystal.ie/
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses! They are really helpful. So, how much time should we allow for Powerscourt Gardens and Waterford each (keeping in mind doing both and then driving to Kinsale)?