Need your expertise on Ireland trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read every message on this board about Ireland. I really enjoyed what the lady from California posted about her recent trip and all of the tidbits that I have read. I have, in fact, printed out a 52 page booklet of info from you folks! Many Thanks! We are flying into and out of Shannon. Please help me or advise me on what you think of the following:

Day 1- drive from Shannon to Dingle area and spend 2 nights. We can explore that area.

Day 3- Drive from Dingle area Cork area and spend 2 nights. Again, our options are open for exploring.

Day 5- Drive from Cork and spend the next 2 nights in the Waterford/Kilkenny area.

Day 6- Drive through Tipperary and spend the night at a place close to the airport in Shannon.

This would mean we would not make it into Dublin, as I do not think we would have time. But I also want to see the most beautiful sights that I can. Any suggestions anyone? Also, unless I am mistaken, I think that I read it was a 7 1/2 hour drive from Shannon to Dublin. Has anyone done this? Thank you so much! Kathy
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:35 AM

With only one week I think you are smart to skip Dublin. The trip as you have outlined is not bad however I have been to Ireland eight timess in the last eight years and in my opinion, and keep in mind that it is only my opinion if you want to see the best scenery and see the real Ireland I would skip cork and hit the other peninsulas on my way to kinsale in Cork. Skip the ring of Kerry and drive from Dingle to Killarney and take the N-71 south to Kenmare or Glengariff. You are then in a perfect spot to explore the remaining three Peninsulaa, Beara, Sheepshead and Mizen. The scenery will be breathtaking thru the mountains and along the coast on the Peninsulas. If you read the forum you will notice how many people say that Kinsale is their favorite village. My wifes too and we will stay two night there in July. Waterford is a City. I try to avoid cities but thats just me. I am sure other folks with experience with have other ideas. Have fun and get out of the car at every opportunity and don't be afraid to get off the main roads and wander abit.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:55 AM

In Kilkenny, there is a very good restaurant called Breathnachs, just west of Kilkenny castle (over the bridge). Kilkenny castle was interesting to tour, as was Jerpoint Abbey, about a half hour south of there.

I think you've got a good, well-thought out itinerary -- not too fast

Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I agree with the poster who likes to avoid the cities. We knew there was absolutely nothing to entice us into driving into Cork CC. Unles you have a real thing to see the crystal factory there is little point in going to Waterford. It is a very unattractive place. Driving will be much slower than what you anticipate.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM

It sounds like you have planned to go at a nice leisurely pace which is the way to enjoy Ireland. I have a couple of recommendations for you.

-While in Kilkenney stay at the Bregagh View B&B. They have 4 ensuite rooms and Mary was incredibly nice and helpful.

-Spend some time in Killarney National Park. It's incredibly beutiful. When we go back to Ireland that is one of the places we will definitely return to.

-If you would like a taste of Stonehenge go to the Dromberg Stone Circle. We only found it in the DK Eyewitness book so it is not the kind of place completely overrun by tourists. As a matter of fact getting there is half the fun but it is just Southwest of Clonakilty.

Hope this all helps.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your replies. One more question...since we are flying into Shannon do you think we should drive to Ennise and see the Cliffs of Mohr? It does not look to be very far away. Thanks again!!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM

The Cliffs are nice but you will be doing a lot of driving and backtracking on your first day. I would save them for your next trip and combine them with a trip out of Doolin to the Aran Islands.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM

I cannot imagine going for the first time to Ireland and missing the Cliffs of Mohr. I would include this in your itinerary if possible, you won't be dissapointed. Your itinerary looks good, the Dingle and Cork areas are nice, plenty too see. JOHNOID gives good advice, stay away from the cities, Cork, Waterford, unless you have some compelling reason to visit. You may consider instead of Waterford/Kilkenny to travel up through LaHinch (Cliffs of Mohr, Galway, Connemara forest, Clifden and Cong (Ashford Castle). These areas are not overly far from Shannon. Please note that Kilkenny is one of my favorite cities (great bars), but may be a stretch given the limited amount of time.

My two cents.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hi Kathy:

It looks like you have a doable 1 week trip to Ireland. Here are a couple of thoughts.

Since you are flying in and out of Shannon, I would stick to the west coast. There is so much to see in the west that going east seems to just add driving time. This is not to say that the east is not interesting, but your best bang for the buck is the west.

Although Cork is making a huge attempt to become more tourist friendly, it is still tough to navigate and there are some wonderful other choices. Consider Kenmare. I like Johnod's suggestions of Mizen, Sheepshead and Beara a lot, though I don't agree with him on RoK. There are some beautiful points and some interesting history, especially on the south coast. Still, it can be missed, especially on a short trip.

I am a huge fan of multiple night stays, but on such a short trip, you may be better served with a couple of 1 night stays interspersed. I am a little confused by your 1st post. I assume that you meant your headings to be day 1, day 3, day 5 and day 7 being that each stop had a two night stay in it. If that is the case, here is a possibility:

Day 1 - Stay in Doolin, Lahinch or a town near the Cliffs. This will greatly reduce the amount of time driving on the first very tired day and allow you to see the Cliffs of Moher. By staying there, you can catch them late in the day and miss the crowds. The Cliffs are one of Irelands most spectacular sights. Despite the heavy tourism which is a result of the spectacular beauty, you can still visit late in the day or early the next day (or both as I have done) and avoid the rush.

Day 2-3 Dingle

Day 4-5 Kenmare or perhaps Glengarriff. I've never stayed in Glengarriff so I really don't much about the facilities there, but the access to the less traveled peninsulas is a good thing. Kenmare is a wonderful town with lots of restaurants and again, great access to Beara and in a very long day, Sheepshead or Mizen.

Day 6 - Cashel or Cahir visiting both the castle and the Rock.

Day 7 - Shortish drive back to Bunratty and enjoy some of the many sights in close proximity to the airport, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Cragganouwen, Qinn Abbey, a castle banquet or Irish night, a pint at either the famous Durty Nellies (usually very crowded) Mac's or the Creamery). I understand Kathleen's puts on quite a spread also.

This is just one option and there are many. If you are having problems with insomnia, here is a link to two of my travel journals:

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2002/index.htm

and:

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2003/

Bill
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Just wanted to add that you should try to go into the town of Dingle via the Connor Pass, which I believe was closed to large vehicles (but some of them didn't care, back in 1995). It' possibley the GREENEST place I've ever seen, except for the multi-color sheep dotting the misty hillsides.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I will add my two cents from a too-brief trip I took to Ireland 2 years ago. We stayed just outside glengariff in a catered house rental.

Having not been to the Ring of Kerry or Dingle I can't compare, but I can say the Beara Peninsula is beautiful, and when we were there in April 2003 it felt literally like just us and the locals, and I'd have to guess it is much less touristed than are those other two famous peninsulas. Try Healy Pass - for breathtaking views & scenery.

I also second the suggestions rshersnow makes for spending time in Killarney National Park & finding the Dromberg Stone Circle...when we drove through the park on our way to Glengariff, on our first day after our flight landed in Shannon, I was speechless...I think it was that park that helped Ireland to capture my heart.

The Dromberg Stone Circle we too found through the Eyewitness travel guides - but wouldn't have found it at all without the help of locals at some gas stations along the way! Once we got there, we were well-rewarded for our efforts. Amazing to see, and we had it entirely to ourselves because it is so far off the beaten path!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:04 AM

My husband and I went to Ireland a couple of years ago - you will have a wonderful time! The people are fantastic and the scenery is to die for.

Now back to your questions. The Dingle Peninsula was my absolute favorite part of my trip. If you are in need of accomodation, my favorite B&B of my entire trip was in the area - you would take the above mentioned connor pass to get to it - it's the Shores Country House. Annette is a gem! you can search for it and find it on the net.

Also, if you are in Dingle, you must take the scenic drive along the coast. Does anyone remember what that is called? You see what they call the Three Sisters - it starts from town and winds around forever (i think the locals told us it would take like 30 mins., we took 3 hours because we kept stopping the car to take pictures!).

If you want to see the Cliffs, you can stay in doolin and it is an easy drive. I stayed in a great B&B in Doolin at the top of the hill overlooking the town but can't find the name of it.

Don't worry about Dublin - you don't want to spend all of your time in the car. You are doing the right thing!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 08:25 AM

On your last night, County Clare is much closer to Shannon than county Tipperary. In fact, Shannon is in County Clare. Try staying in Ennis, a wonderful town only 20 minutes from the airport. The Old Ground is a very nice hotel, and sometimes has great deals. I stayed in a well appointed suite for two nights with full breakfast for 80 euro per night.

As for Cork, I would highly reccomend it, it's a marvelous, vibrant city. I haven't been to Waterford, but I don't know if you would want to visit two cities on a short trip to Ireland, especially a more industrial one like Waterford. I would reccomend instead spending a night in County Tipperary and touring the Rock of Cashel and Castle Cahir. I enjoyed the Carrigeen Castle B&B in Cahir.

On the morning you leave County Tipperary, consider heading to the Cliffs of Mohr and the Burren, then you can spend the night in Ennis before your departure the next day.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM

It's called Slea Head drive.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM

People are being a little hard on Waterford. It is quite a nice city, it has a fascinating crystal factory and it is not JUST a city but is one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland with probably the best weather in Ireland. I agree - forget the cities and come out into the countryside - the villages, the local pubs, shops, churches, Gaelic Football, Hurling (wild field hockey) the little harbours, country lanes. If you are coming to Ireland make it the real thing. It looks like you are all going west; it'll be just like home!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I've been to Ireland three times and my three favorite places are Kinsale, Dingle and the Donegal area. I'd limit my time in Cork would skip the Ring of Kerry. I feel there is nothing special in Waterford. I also wouldn't be too upset about missing Dublin, I personally think the West is the area to see.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Crayon raises an interesting point. On a warm June evening, eating a steak at the Flesk in Killarney, you might easily think you were still stateside, especially with all the American Legion liscense plates decorating the walls.
Even still, THERE ARE NO BAD PLACES IN IRELAND, where you might park yourself for a week and not enjoy yourself, IMHO.
We have friends and relatives in Kildare, Killarney, Tralee and both east, and West Cork and we visit them every year. It makes it hard to get out to the more distant regions, though we definitely plan to someday. Donegal, Northern Ireland are calling out, and revisits to the South East (Wicklow, Wexford) and the North West (Mayo Galway, Sligo, Lietrim and Longford) are also high on our list, BUT...
If you can only scrape together 8-10 days, you have to make hard choices, EVERY time you plan to go. You can spend all your time in one place and STILL not really know it as well as you would like.
The upshot is that such a short trip requires sacrifices and I think your plan is sensible. Just know that you will ALWAYS miss a lot on a one week trip.