Wi-Fi usage while in a Paris Apartment

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Wi-Fi usage while in a Paris Apartment

Let me preface my question with the admission that I am completely technology challenged! I have a laptop and I know how to turn it on; select the large E to get to the internet and that is the extent of my expertise.

So, here is my most definitely lame question:
Once I get to the apartment ( that has free wi-fi), what do I do? Is there a card that I need to buy? Is there a plug? If so, do I need an adaptor for the plug? If so, will the assortment I use for my cell phone and camera battery charger work? If not, can I buy something once I get to Paris?

I would love to download my photos while we are there, but I have my doubts that I can figure it all out.

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!

PS I did try to search the web for instructions, but every site assumed a level of knowledge far surpassing mine -lol

Linda

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Assuming your power block is 110-240, you can just buy a European adaptor that will allow you to plug it in--the plug is different. As to the free wi-fi, assuming your laptop normally looks for a Wifi signal somewhere other than your home (and if it is relatively new, it should do so fairly automatically), then it should search for the signal here too. Otherwise, click on the internet symbol in the status bar at the bottom of your screen--probably on the right--and ask it to search for a connection. If a password or WEP key is needed to get in, the owners of the apartment should supply that.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM

I think you want to UPLOAD your photos (to the internet).

Someone more tech-fluent than I will doubtless answer, but there are two ways to get a wifi signal into your laptop.
1)Antenna, If you can receive wifi domestically (Starbucks, etc, not your house), no problem. If not, you'll need a card.
2)Cable connection, Then you'll need to ensure your laptop has a place to plug it, you'll need to know the specific type of cord and plug the apartment supplies.
So, contact the apartment agency to find out, so that you'll know which subsequent posts you should follow

If you can
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM

First, you'll need a plug adapter. You can buy one here, or in Paris for a couple of euros.

Is your laptop a PC? If so, and you're running XP or Vista, you should see a monitor icon on the4 bottom right of your stgatus bar (bottom of your computer screen). Hold your mouse over it and it should give you a small window that tells you if you're connected, if so to what server, and the strength of the signal.

If not, click on Start, click on Computer (or My Computer if XP is your OS), click on Network (or Network Connections), and see what's available to you. If you see connections listed but you're still not able to get on, you should see options listed to the left to Repair Connection and other troubleshooting options.

If you have a Mac, it's probably similar, but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Hi,

When I rented an apartment with wifi last October the rental manager gave me the name and password for the wireless network. Before he left the apt. I made sure my network connection was working.

As the others have said you will need a plug adapter (most laptops have voltage converters built into the power cord) and a wireless network card. The power outlet adapter is the same as for a hairdryer, battery charger, etc.

It was great having the laptop and loading my pix and writing my journal every day.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies! I have printed all your responses, and, I am sending my daughter to Starbuck's laptop in hand!

>> think you want to UPLOAD your photos (to the internet).<<

See what I mean???????
I have no clue to the logic let alone the lingo. But, yes that is what I want to do.

Hotel Muguet ( the owner of the apartment) said she had a cable and I would need an adaptor for the 220 V. So, as long as the laptop works here, I should be fine!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:02 AM

what's a wireless network card?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi Linda.

Leave the laptop at home. It is a heavy, expensive, easily stolen, lump of luggage that you don't need.

Buy a couple of 2G SC cards for your camera and download your photos at home.

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi A,

>what's a wireless network card?

If you have to ask, a European vacation is not the time to learn.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM

I don't have to use any kind of a card with my laptop in the US..is it different in europe.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:27 AM

The card is build in, or it isn't anyway it's the ame everywhere. Europeean Wifi transmitters have 2 more channels (additional fequencies) and less max. tranmision power but don't worry the hardware's the same and works anyway.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Hello, I also have a question. I just ordered a new laptop from Dell to use on my extended trip to Paris.
I am also wondering if I need a card
in Paris and where to get it if I do. I will not have wifi in my apartment but a Starbuck's is near and another cafe with wifi. My son has the laptop card from Sprint that he uses with his laptop here. Can I get something like that in Paris so I can use my laptop anywhere, not just in wifi spots. I used the Milk internet cafe in Bastille last trip but since I plan on travel nursing etc I wanted a laptop. I really missed not having internet at home while here in Hawaii. I think I have figured out all I need is the adapter to plug it in.

Thanks.

gg
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM

>I am also wondering if I need a card

There are different technologies for mobile internet access.

One is WLAN (=WiFi) available wherever you'll find a WiFi access point. The hardware (= WLAN card) is bulit into most newer laptopc computers. Check the manual if it says "WLAN card build in".

A completely different technology is internet access via cellphone networks. This works whereever the phone network is available and usually it's far more expensive.

It depends what you need.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Hi gggna,

Your new Dell will have a wireless card already installed at the factory. It's part of the Dell package.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I AM SO GLAD I POSTED THIS QUESTION!
I don't feel completely inept since others had questions too.

Ira,

What is a <<2G SC cards for your camera>>? memory cards?

If so, that won't solve the issue. I think my daughter wants to send her friends and especially her fiance our pictures as we go. I don't know exactly why, but I have learned not to argue with her logic.
Otherwise, I agree the laptop is just a nuisance for me -- one more thing to lug.

The laptop is a dell and fairly new ( less than a year old). It most likely has what we need.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Ladylyn915, the solution is simple: since it is your daughter who wants to send photos to her friends, let her worry about setting up the wi-fi connection on your laptop. If your daughter is like mine, she probably knows exactly what to do.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM

In the event of any problem, just find a teenager, they will be able to sort it out in about 2 mins.

Muck
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM

My point exactly.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Shoot , you don't even need a teen-ager! My 10 year old "adorable" showed me how to do something the other day!