Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I re-charge my Ipod through the USB ports at an internet cafe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM
kit
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...or even the computer in the business center of the hotel? My ipod doesn't have the charger -- only the USB cable -- and I'd rather not buy/lug one if I can get away with re-charging it through a computer while on the road.

Before you flame me about wasting my time at the computer or on the ipod on the road, please know that I intend to only listen to previously downloaded podcasts of intellectual nature! I promise not to listen to music or look at stored pictures that may bring enjoyment, however brief. Yes! Only intellectual fare for me!

(Mainly, what I don';t know because I've had no visibility to it is this: is a USB a USB a USB or are they configured differently somehow in different countries. Also, does itunes need to be on the computer for the charging to work?

I'm sure you'll tell me if this is a bad plan. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM

i dont have an ipod but i do know usb is usb everywhere.the u is for universal.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

kit: Maybe some techie will correct or add to this, but I learned that the USB will charge your iPod. You don't need iTunes.

My concern was that if I plugged it into my hotels computer that held, for example 100 songs, that the songs would automatically start to download on my iPod. I was told, "No, automatic download will only happen on your computer. When you're on a different computer, a window will pop up asking if you want to download the songs from the host computer."
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
kit
Original Poster

Thank you both! Yes, Pilates, you are right; that is another fear I have...that someone else's library will wipe out my own. I am thick. I only know how my ipod works on my computer...again, thank you!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM

1. That other computer doesn't need to have iTunes installed.

2. No, it won't automatically wipe out your file. Your iPod has to be registered on that computer's iTunes before you can transfer files.

3. Not all USB ports are the same. For example, most USB ports on keyboards don't provide enough power to recharge an iPod. You need to plug directly into that computer.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM

will you be at the internet cafe or hotel business centre long enough to charge the thing!?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM

<i>&quot;will you be at the internet cafe or hotel business centre long enough to charge the thing!?&quot;</i>

Yeah, I was wondering about the same too!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM

The usb port delivers 500mA max at 5 Volts, the IPOD battery has 3.7V and 1700mA capacity. Should take 3h at least. Say surfing costs 2$/hour makes 6$, a usb charger on ebay would costs $2.99.
Silly answer to a silly question ;-) ;-)
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:28 PM
kit
Original Poster

Thanks all,you've helped me!

Yes, I will certainly be on the computer for hours while away. It's not entirely vacation and not entirely work...so my company is used to big i-cafe or bizcenter bills. It's our agreement...

Again, thanks for your help. I'm about to surf some and see if I can find some good podcast/walking tours for my visit to Amsterdam and Paris!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
cw

kit,

You can also buy a USB power adapter (http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html), to charge your IPod from an electrical outlet. We've use it for travel and also at home. For Europe, you'd also need an adapter for the outlet.

cw
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I think the OP just want to avoid bringing another item for the trip. Besides the Apple one, there are other chargers that are even cheaper. Some under $15.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I've done it multiple times before on my office laptop and it doesn't have iTunes in it (for compliance reasons).

You should be good to go.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM

If the computer you charge on has iTunes, you need to manually make sure that it is not set to automatically update iPod (which it will do registered or not).

That said, having to charge the iPod at random computers is not only annoying for you (for the time it takes), but probably more expensive than just having your own charger (as people have said here). I recommend getting the charger and forgetting your worries.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:00 PM

Another point you will have to consider is that, often internet cafe disable the USB ports
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:54 AM

Again, iTunes will not just automatically update <b>any</b> iPod that's attached to it. It has to recognize whose iPod it is, and what playlist it has for that iPod. I use 2 iPods myself, and there's no confusion. When I plug in my 2nd iPod for the first time, iTunes will ask you what you want to do. It will not just update it with something or anything without asking.