Why I go on about Naples being not so nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Evil, vindictive, pimp, drug dealer, crime leader bans tipping outside his house

http://www.corriere.it/International...-tipping.shtml

Just think what this is going to smell like in the summer
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny I've never noticed any problem when I've been in Naples, which I love and to which I will return whenever I can.

IMO La Corriere della Sera is a crap paper and believing anything it says is akin to believing anything 'The Sun' says in the UK.

Still, other tourists avoiding Naples suits me !
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Come off it, Caroline. There have been recurring garbage problems in Naples that you can read about in the archives of whatever newspaper you happen to trust.

And equating Corriere della Sera (which would be Il Corriere if there were an article in the name) with The Sun does not inspire much confidence in your judgment of "trustworthy" newspapers.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 06:10 AM
RJD

The last time I was in the Naples train station waiting to get on a train to Florence, they displayed posters warning you not to use the bathrooms alone for fear of being violently robbed.
Sounds a tad rough. Are the posters still there?
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Zerlina - I have certainly read about these ongoing problems, I'm just pointing out that I've never seen rubbish in the streets so think it may be exaggerated in certain sections of the press - and also unlikely to imapct tourists. So shouldn't put potential visitors off what is a fascinating city.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM

I was just in Naples in September and although it is rougher than some cities, it is still very interesting, friendly and has great food. No, it's not the cleanest but, like caroline, I didn't see any rubbish in the streets either. And you are certainly not more at risk in Naples than you would be in any U.S. city.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM

You either like Naples (I do) or you hate it. If you hate it don't go and forget about it and move on. There is so much to do and see, the people are wonderful and as stated above you are not more risk than you would be in any city or town.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM

We spent a week in Naples in September and enjoyed the city. For some of us vacationing only in Camelot gets boring.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM

I saw rubbish piled mountain-high my first trip to Napoli, which happened to coincide with the garbage crisis of a few years back. What wasn't piled in curbside mountains was scattered all over the place. I'm returning to Napoli in a few weeks, so the garbage didn't change my interest in understanding the city and seeing more of its art -- although I am hoping it will be gone shortly, as I'm sure Neopolitans do.

By the way, I'm reading a really very good book about Naples called: "Modern Naples: A Documentary History, 1799-1999." The city -- historically one of Europe's greatest -- really has had a shockingly tragic recent history, devastated at the turn of the 20th c by cholera epidemics and then rapacious destruction in WW2, and how much it was victimized by a number of national political decisions after Italian unification, on top of what was already an extremely strained, overpopulated city, ruined by lack of serious reform of social inequities and chronic desperate poverty in its lower classes.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Naples-...pr_product_top

It's $10 if you download it on Kindle, and it is terrifically readable book.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 01:28 AM

I agree with Marija I enjoy Naples. As far as know Camelot or Camelots are only in the movies.
Have you read the last news ....and there is more to come. Unfortunatelly.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

http://www.florencenewspaper.it/vedi...b0.11.04.00.04
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Photos for those who haven't seen the problem first-hand.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/11...-naples-italy/

This article is nearly 3 years old and mentions that at the time of publication the trash problem in Naples had been on-going for 14 years.

http://edition.cnn.hu/2008/WORLD/eur...ish/index.html
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:13 AM

AFP) – 19 hours ago

ROME — Italy's southern city of Naples will be rid of its piles of garbage by Christmas with the arrival of dump trucks from other regions helping in an intensified clean-up, the mayor's office vowed Sunday.

Uncollected waste has accumulated in the city for weeks, with residents reporting a rise in the numbers of rats, pigeons and seagulls and experts warning of health risks from the rotting rubbish.

A dozen vehicles from Rome were already in the city helping its own dump trucks, said Paolo Giacomelli, the city official in charge of hygiene.

Around 1,600 tonnes of garbage were collected on Saturday and, taking into account new waste produced daily, the amount to still be removed had dropped to 2,680 tonnes from 2,910 tonnes a day earlier, Giacomelli said.

The municipality expected the city centre would be "decent" by next Sunday with an extraordinary clean-up starting Monday to first target tourist areas like the central station, he said.

Naples expected the arrival of 30 extra garbage trucks in total from Rome and other cities including Milan and Florence to help out, he said.

Twenty waste-sorting depots had also been set up, an important dump reopened and the city would send some of its organic waste to other regions, the official said.

The European Commission warned Italy last week that it risked big fines if it fails to implement a the waste management plan.

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi vowed Friday that Naples' garbage problem would be sorted out in 15 days.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

What has Berlusconi bing doing for the past weeks? I know; "bunga-bunga" parties. "At least he is not gay" he said
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Napoli is not nice, so if anyone wants only to go to nice places, then they should stay away from Napoli.
I find the city fascinating for all kinds of reasons. I've been there when the rubbish has been piled up, so I know there are problems. Whether there is rubbish or clean steets, its street life and food are still amazing. It's also in a beautiful part of Italy, close to Capri, Pompei, Ercolano, the Amalfi coast and countless other places of interest to tourists.
For anyone who wants to visit a nice place, there are plenty of choices. In Britain, I'm told Milton Keynes is very nice.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM

ew, wow, this is disgusting...it looks much worse than many third world countries I've visited! Such a shame considering how much potential Napoli has!
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM

In Britain, I'm told Milton Keynes is very nice>

Well it certainly is a whole lot nicer than the average English city IME and they also have cows in Milton Keynes!