Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why do some ATM's work and some do not with the same card.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 11:40 AM
scott

ATM's have always worked for me in Europe,but my parents were just over to visit us where we live in Germany. His Atm card ( bank issued Visa with 4 digit pin) worked in the Deutsche-Bank ATM and in some machine in Switzerland, but on a trip to Holland 5 machines rejected his card. When we got back to Germany the card worked at Deutsche bank but was rejected at other ATM's. Money was in the account. Anybody have an idea why this happened?? I'm going to Rome next month and I'd like to avoid this problem if possible, Thanks Scott.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 12:49 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>I have just the same experience, and it's a pest. In the last resort I could take my paqssport of the hotel safe and go to a bank counter to draw cash on just the same card. But the desk rate is worse than the ATM rate. So I take no fewer than four cards, two Visa and two MasterCard, and have not been forced to a cash desk yet. Oh, except in Ukraine. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I would imagine that the Dutch machines were not on the Plus (Visa) system while the Deutche Bank ones were.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 02:34 PM
elvira

I have had ATMs reject my WFC debit/mastercard, but accept my debit/visacard drawn on a different bank, and vice versa. I assume it's the f*&%#@*ing computer and vow I'll only carry cash until of course I try another ATM and it works. <BR> <BR>Even at home, I've had ATMs reject one card, and accept another - and another ATM attached to the same bank accept both cards. <BR> <BR>Damn computer poltergeists.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Jerald

Different bank cards are tied to different systems, for example cirrus & plus are 2 of the biggest. Look on the back of your card for the system it connects to. If the ATM machine accepts Plus & you have Cirrus, you are out of luck. Try another ATM as some honor one or several systems. Hope this helps

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 11:19 PM
Peg

If your card isn't being accepted at the ATM on some occasions, this is because the daily balance is being done. Go back in about and hour or so and most times you will find everything is okay. Peg.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 11:25 PM
Peg

Data from the country you come from has to be balanced, so on occasions the ATMs have to have down time for your card, this is when your card gets rejected. Try again a bit later and you generally find that it is working again. <BR>Peg.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 04:33 AM
Joelle

By experience withdrawing cash with a Visa card in Germany is not easy, as most of the banks still use the Eurocheque system which is not connected with Visa... <BR>You should experience less problems in the other European countries. But again in Rome, I know that only some banks accept Visa for cash withdrawal at ATM's. <BR>However check before departure with your bank how much money you can withdraw in cash per week. <BR>For instance in France, you have a limit of less than 250 USD a week for regular Visa cards... unless you ask the bank for a specific higher amount.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Spokesman from

As your nearest neighbors of superior beings in the universe, we have the responsibility for deciding when to let financial transactions go through on your planet and when they should not. <BR> <BR>We use the finest random number generators in the universe to power these decisions. <BR> <BR>Please do not try to probe this mystery to learn more than humans are entitled to know, or we will re-program our software to frustrate you even further. <BR> <BR>Best wishes (wink), <BR> <BR>Your intergalactic customer service representative

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Spokesman from

As your nearest neighbors of superior beings in the universe, we have the responsibility for deciding when to let financial transactions go through on your planet and when they should not. <BR> <BR>We use the finest random number generators in the universe to power these decisions. <BR> <BR>Please do not try to probe this mystery to learn more than humans are entitled to know, or we will re-program our software to frustrate you even further. <BR> <BR>Best wishes (wink), <BR> <BR>Your intergalactic customer service representative

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Spokesman from

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Al Godon

Ahem spokescreature. I figure that if you have all those esoteric, arcane intergalactic powers, you could post a message on Fodors without having to stab it 3 times. <BR> <BR>Seriously. That kind of experience reinforces carrying a few hundred $$ in travelers check form.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 08:01 AM
Spokesman from

Ahem Cottonseed creature. Our ATM approval software got temporarily mixed up with the software that refreshes posts to this message board. Sorry, <BR> <BR>Apparently had something to do with Nebula Savings time being implemented different weeks on opposite sides of the intergalactic pond. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>me

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Kathleen

I've had the same experience and it didn't have to do with trying to stick a card in a machine for the wrong network, nor balance being done, nor trying to withdraw too much, etc. I'm sure those would be reasons but I've had my ATM rejected half the time in France and every time in Austria and I know how to read what network the machine is on. I have no idea why this happens, but would like to, as I never got my card to work in Austria over an entire week. I got an error message claiming my card was no good internationally, but this was nonsense as I later used it in Paris several times. But again, other days it was rejected in Paris by the exact same chain and machine that I had used succesfully other days. I was suspicious that maybe in France the machines are down on certain days like Sunday which is when I couldn't get anything at several machines, or run out of money? Not sure, it's a mystery to me but I just don't count on them working; if they do, fine, if not, I have other sources. Anyway, all I can warn is that Austria is really a problem. I agree that you can withdraw cash directly off your VISA card at a bank, but that is a terrible idea for Americans (maybe it's different for the British), not because the exchange rate differs but because American credit cards charge interest rates on cash advances from the date of withdrawal plus a large transaction fee; you cannot avoid this transaction fee, which is usu. more than an ATM withdrawal fee. This is true whether you get it at a desk or from an ATM, though, if you're using a regular credit card.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 01:40 PM
bo_jack

This is relevant only to the most recent post; and only adds to the confusion. On three separate trips, I've had no trouble at all in Austria, both in Vienna and in much smaller towns. Nothing special about my cards -- Cirrus, Maestro and/or Plus networks.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Carolyn

any experience with ATM cards in Spain? I have used mine extensively in France with no problem.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 01:43 PM
Peg

When a card that worked before, suddenly doesn't work, you will find that probably back home the facility is doing a daily balance and your info is off air for that time. just go back a little later. Peg.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Margaret Shirley

Never had any trouble in Austria with a Canadian Cirrus-compatible debit card. You can always pre-load a credit card such as Visa or MC with a cash deposit to avoid interest charges