Why do Messages disappear?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:41 PM
elle

Why do Messages disappear?

Last night I posted a message asking about reserving train tickets here or when I get to Italy. Now I can't find my message.I only have 2 rides to book, but I want to get first class. Do you think that's a problem in July, or are there usually lots of seats and frequent trains?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:45 PM
bettyk

Due to the enormous number of messages posted on this board, it has probably been "pushed" way down the list. If you keep scrolling down thru the messages over the next several pages, you will probably find it. If you're lucky, you may also be able to find it using the search function for Italy.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:28 PM
xxx

But there is active deleting going on this afternoon (probably not your thread about "reserving train tickets" though - - I agree with bettyk - - probably just pushed way down).

Here's one that I managed to catch in "active delete" just this afternoon:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1381444

Started sometime this afternoon, and deleted jus tminutes after it was started. I never saw its content.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:38 PM
jen

Elle, I found your message by searching on the keyword "Italy" and then scanning the headers -- and I didn't even know for sure what your header said. The next time you can't find a message, remember that you have to go back all the way to the time it was posted. I have topped it, so it shouldn't be too far below this one, now.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:22 PM
puzzled

"Active delete?" Can you please tell me what that is?

Also, I've heard of something called 'view source.' (?)

for a computer dimwit, can someone help?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:11 PM
xxx

Active delete was a reference to the fact that it occurred just minutes after I saw the post, as if right before my eyes. It was still there in the left hand column, but blanked out in the right hand column.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Rex

Although topping can be helpful to someone who can't find their post, citing the URL is even more helpful. That way it is never lost (if you can find THIS post).

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1381253

Best wishes,

Rex