Why Blend In?

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Blend In?

So many posts mention what to pack and the apparent need to blend in. Is it for safety or some other reason. What do you think. Mildred
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:08 PM

These days safety could definitely be a concern, but I'm sure you'll hear other reasons as well.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:12 PM

I think if you're a person who is more comfortable blended in, then dress accordingly.

If you're a person who likes to stand out, then dress accordingly.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Funny, Mildred, I have always noticed that on these threads too. As for me, I like to create a little stir if I can.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM
P_M

I've seen your picture, Sea Urchin, and I'm sure you are noticed everywhere you go.

As for me, it's not that I want to fool anyone into thinking I'm a local, but if you stand out too much as a tourist, there can be a safety concern. Although crime can happen to anyone, we travelers all know that pickpockets and petty thieves seek out tourists.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Because it's just like the same feeling as being in high school. You get nervous about thinking everyone is looking at you and making fun of you, and you feel embarrassed. I think it's basic social psychology, people want to fit in and not feel weird and that they stick out. Everyone wants to belong.

Secondly, I think some people so have some idea that tourists are targets or will be treated differently, and that is certainly true for some things, but usually tourists are going to be spotted anyway, regardless of how much black they wear, due to language and what they are carrying. They can just walk and look different, also.

But I think it's basically mostly junior high.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM
rex

I think it's somewhat about wanting not to look like a dork. People would like to be told not to wear a plastic pocket protector (and a slide rule on your belt - - there.. does that date me?) - - when going to a bowling alley. Or bib overalls to a night at the opera. Or wing tips to a luau.

That's why those neon-green Nike running shoes won't look like you fit in... at Musee d'Orsay.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:38 PM
KT

Just my opinion, but I think it is about people wanting to feel somehow more worldly than their compatriot travelers. You know, "I wore black and everybody thought I was French." Well, not if you opened your mouth and spoke, they didn't.

I like Christina's formulation: basically, it's just junior high.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Oh, thanks P_M! Rex, I like your dork theory. Yes, I wouldn't want to be too high on the dork-o-meter! Oh, but I love comfortable shoes!! Does that make me a dork? I love that word.

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I think it is an issue of 'safety' in that Americans may not want to stand out unduly, especially during controversial times - not so much that an observant local couldn't detect your origins, but at least enough to not shine like a beacon. ("HERE ARE THE AMERICANS, PELT US NOW!")

The other reason is to avoid perceived ridicule; I mean, it does look silly (IMO) to wear shorts and tennies in a more reserved and 'cultured' environment such as London, Paris or even Manhattan NYC. But many people do wear such casual clothes for sightseeing in the US, and want to know if the same is customary elsewhere. I don't see anything wrong with asking about that.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Remember how everyone makes fun of the "typical tourist" costume of Bermuda shorts, Hawaiian shirt, socks with sandals, and camera around the neck? Sensitive people do not want to be that guy.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I always try to fit in, a mediocre strategy.

Oddly, nobody ever says: "You must be American" -- just as well, as I am not.

But I usually get pigeon-holed as British (semi-European, not quite getting it????) or, more egregiously still... German!

(Is it my black socks with sandals?)

I then get to draw myself up grandly and announce: I...AM...CANADIAN

...just like in the beer commercial.

(Canadian readers will know which one I mean)
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

All very interesting folks. Just packing for the next little get away and that blending in theme kept coming to mind. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Safety is the reason. There is a lot of anti-American sentiment overseas, so you are better off to avoid any undue attention to yourself.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM

>Safety is the reason.
An american tourist, walking in the streets (almost) anywhere in Europe even in the strangest outfit in the middle of the night, is safer than doing the same (almost) anywhere in the US, so why would you want to blend in. Pickpockets will find you anyway, based on your (stupid?) behaviour, not your looks, so why bother?
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM

I know this is the Europe forum but on my last trip to Tanzania I dressed in a Maasai Shuka (blanket) for the last few days of my trip and the way the Maasai responded to me was so much better than to the others in our group. It helped that the Maasai elder whom I befriend had the same name as me in Swahili - Matayu. Here's a picture of us together.

http://www.smartgroups.com/picvault/....jpg/saf38.jpg

Now if I wore that back home in Lisbon then I would match Rex's dork ideal! For me it wasn't so much about trying to fit in but absorb myself more deeply into the culture. That doesn't mean though if I went to Scotland I'd wear a kilt.

For me in Africa it just seemed the right thing to do!

Take care

Matt
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Just my opinion, but I think wanting to "blend in" is part of some desire for "immersion" (is that the right word)? Just as people don't want to be surrounded only by other tourists, or eat American food in a foreign country, I think their wanting to "blend in" is all a part of that immersion.

I can't believe that it's for safety reasons. I mean seriously, no matter how hard we try, we'll still look like tourists - just like I can spot other tourist (from various countries), I'm sure they can spot me, no matter what I'm wearing.

I tried that blend in stuff in Paris, but they knew I was American before I even opened my mouth. The only place that it worked was in Italy - where I was mistaken for a French tourist. Now, I think, "why bother" - just be comfortable.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:47 PM

There is an easy way imho to train yourself. Spent a few weeks alone somewhere in China, everybody will be looking (staring ;-) ) at you wherever you go. Great and friedly people, btw. When you return, you most likely will be cured of the urge to blend-in forever. (unless you're of chinese descent that is ;-)
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Logos: or wait till you're old, then you'll be happy if somebody looks at you, especially the opposite sex
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:57 PM

When I vacation in Hawaii, my suitcase is full of brightly-colored flowered shirts and skirts. Just seems the thing to do. Do I pack the same for Europe? Hardly.

But I sure do like my light blue Nikes wherever I go! Nothing like 'em. At the end of the day, my feet are thanking me.

Happy travels, y'all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -