Who knows groovy Paris?

Search

Who knows groovy Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who knows groovy Paris?

I visited Paris five years ago and saw quite a few of the "must see" sites. I'm returning in Nov. for a week in Paris with my mom and sister. We'd like to do some "must see" stuff, but also visit some non-touristy sites as well. Can anyone recommend unique neighborhoods, art galleries or museums (I love the Picasso museum), good neighborhood cafes, funky shopping districts, or a place to listen to music or have a drink. We'll be staying in the very touristed 7th near the Eiffel Tower, but we're willing to venture out. No kinky stuff, though. Just your favorite "secret" spots... thanks for suggestions.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Last spring, my girlfriend and I went Caveau de la Huchette, 5 rue de la Huchette, 5th arr., tel. 01 43 26 65 05...a 10 euro cover got us in and a couple of beers later we were sitting in the cellar listening to a live band play for some great swing dancers (other patrons of the bar...mostly pushing 30-something that night but some younger, some older). While a couple of beers didn't give us the nerve to get onto the dance floor, it was definitely a cool memory for both of us...

You could look into doing a cooking class (sorry but I don't have the info handy anymore). We'd also considered having dinner at Jim Haynes' place in Montmartre (found info on this forum). Another favorite moment...listening to the organist practice at St. Eustache

Good luck and have a great time...I'm "jonesing" for a fifth return trip to my favorite city but have 2 more years to wait!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM

1travelbug,

My husband and I did the exact same thing in 2004 and my description on my trip report was almost word for word. We had a blast there.

"My husband and I left my parents to rest and my son stayed in as well, and we headed to a jazz club we saw down the street called Cavern de la Hechette. It was so much fun, so unpretentious. It did have a stiff 10e cover charge but we needed a little fun of this sort. The bar was on the street level and a winding staircase takes you way down into the area with the band and dance floor. The band was lively and everyone danced. We even danced to a slow song."
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I highly recommend the Caveau Huchette for a fun evening - it is hot and smokey though. I would get there early if you want a seat. I also highly recommend Jim Haynes dinner. He does not live in Montmarte, but on the left bank, not sure of the address, but it is on his web site. It was an interesting and lively evening. If you haven't been yet, the Musee' Marmottan is a wonderful gallery exhibiting some beautiful Monet's. It is in a very charming upscale residential neighborhood.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Sandi, that bar was such a great surprise and a great memory for both me and my girlfriend. She'd never been to Paris before but I'd been there 4 times, so I was determined to do something different. I danced a slow dance with a very handsome man (10 years my junior!) from the Seychelle Islands while my girlfriend giggled into her beer from the benches. Hey, what happens in Paris, stays in Paris, right?

Fortunately, my husband got a kick out of the story when I returned to ol' NJ...
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Nothing in groovy Paris was ever groovier than the singer Serge Gainsbourg, who died in 1991. His house, at 5 bis, rue de Vernieul, in the 7th arrondisement, is now a shrine; the entire stretch of wall in front of his house and down both sides is painted with an ocean of graffiti. It is otherwise a very sedate, wealthy area. Quite an amazing thing to see.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM

On arrival pick up a copy of Time Out Paris to find out what's happening that week - as well as reviews of whatever is hip and new.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM

If it's hip and new the chances are high that it's in a double-digit arrondissement.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Don't laugh but the first thing I did (almost first) when I went to Paris the first time was to go to Pere Lachaise cemetery to see Jim Morrison's grave. But there were also so many other interesting people there that I spent hours and hours. And it's free!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Serge Gainsbourg is a thousand times groovier than Jim Morrison!