Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

While in Barcelona, any towns on the French Border interesting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in the Barcelona area for 10 days at the end of April. I am interested in taking an overnight trip to France. Does anyone have any recommendations that are with in @5 hours? Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Judi
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Collioure will be beautiful at the end of April.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:07 AM

I agree. My daughter was there in June 2002 & loved Canet & Collioure. You would probably find it a nice change. Here is a website for Canet. http://www.ot-canet.fr/ang/index.htm

Also, had you thought of stopping in Andorra? My daughter went there as well. It is an interesting place with lots of good shopping. Just another idea for you to mull over. Here is a site for it.
http://www.andorra.ad/ang/home/index.htm

Andorra is about 200km from Barcelona & then Canet/Collioure is probably about that far from Andorra.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Ditto!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Another vote for Collioure. We loved it and look forward to returning for a longer stay.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, Collioure has much to offer. There's a very nice footpath between the cliff and the sea starting at the foot of the old chatau St-Vincent.
The town is well known for its anchovies factories. We brought back a few attractive tins. They make nice gifts.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:21 AM

giggle, giggle, giggle...

Cigalechanta: I was "skim" reading and thought you said INNS (LOL) not tins...

Gotta go get some food or DRINK!

Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:36 AM

OaktownTraveler,
Were you saying ditto to Collioure or to Andorra?
We 're going to be up that way at the end of April, too, but I had the impression that Andorra was NOT worth the trip--- "like Walmart, only worse" was how somebody put it, I think.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Assuming you've a car I'd head north from Barcelona on the (fast) N152 to Vic and carry on as far as Ripoll. Get out and have a wander and stretch your legs - Ripoll is a very quiet town with much going for it - back in the car and take the C151 through Comprodon (again worh a short stop and stroll, a delightful bridge and a really ancient feel to the town) and then keep on over the Col d'Ares (see what EU money has done for the roads in this most out-of-the-way corner of Spain!)down into France and Prats de Mollo.

Prats is the ne plus ultra of authentic French Catalunya and is a terrific place to wander - walled town squeezed into the high Vallespir valley with a massive Vauban fortess bearing down on the ancient town from the heights above.
From Prats follow the D115 down the Vallespir stopping at Ceret which will be just beautiful in April with the Cherry/Almond/Apricot blossoms and first fruits. Here visit the justifiably world famous Gallerie of Modern Art which has excellent Picasso ceramics and other important works by the Fauvists, and wander the streets shaded by the glorious Plane Trees.
Back in the car and down to Coullioure for a late stroll along the beech and through the studios eating at any number of decent restaurants. Finally, after dinner down the autoroute to Barca in under 2 hours.
A long day, and tiring, but an excellent tour of Spanish & French Catalonia.

Have a good trip!

Dr D.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:02 PM

JScar,
I completely concur with Collioure (would not make the longer drive to Andorra).
And on your way to Prats-de-Mollo, please don't forget to stop inland in the Vallespir at the truly lovely, extremely picturesque, prosperous (those cherry orchards will indeed be beautiful) and totally authentic Ceret, in the heart of French Catalonia. I resoundly second that recommendation from Dr_Do Good. As the good doctor has told you, Ceret boasts narrow windling streets, lively squares shaded by those beautiful plane tress, medieval ramparts, a "bridge of the devil" over the river Tet, shops selling delectable gourmet items, a fine wine store, Le Cellier des Arcades", and a great Saturday outdoor market. It also has a very catalán feel to it, the catalán flag is proudly waved, you may hear catalán spoken, sardana classes are given, but at the same time it feels Spanish as well, it has a little bullring and a yearly July "feria" with bullfights, bull running and flamenco, and various Spanish style "bodegas' for tapas.

We also loved the wonderful Museum of Modern Art with its very important collection of Picasso ceramic plates (tauromaquia themes) and works by Duffy, Braque, Juan Gris, Manolo, Chagall. Dalí and Miró. Ceret drew the same group of painters in the thirties as did Collioure. We were very impressed by the Ceret Museum of Modern Art collection-I wouldn't miss it. Also Les Feuillants, in an Art Nouveau mansion right in the heart of town, is a wonderful place to dine. People told us that Ceret was a little gem, and we found it just delightful.
When we return to the area in summer, instead of staying in very congested Collioure, we'll stay in Ceret at Les Feuillants or outside the town at La Terrasse au Soleil or the adjacent La Chataigneraie (from the Alistair Sawday "Special Places to Stay: French B&Bs" guide).
www.ceret.net
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thannk you all for your advice. My trip planning experience has been so much fun, I can't wait for the real thing. We will have a car, so I think we will hit most of the places mentioned. Maybe I'll look into booking a room for the night in Collioure.

J
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:55 PM

JScar,
Try the 3 star Casa Parail in the heart of Collioure, a member of the Relais du Silence group.
www.hotel-casa-pairal.com/
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Marcy:

Andorra is a gem. If you like the quaint, unique and special then go to Andorra.

My replys and post on Andorra reflect my consistent and very positive opinion on Andorra.

Click on my name and look into the posts.

Collioure is quite beautiful hence, my comment of : Ditto!

Hope that clarifies.

No, not a decision but, clarification nonetheless.

Happy Research & Planning,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Thanks, Oaktown!
I'll check it out!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:36 AM

We have one day to drive from Barcelona to Provence. Would particularly love to get a flavor of the Spanish part of the route. Have read the posts and see that Ceret and Collioure are highlights. Do people most highly recommend the Vic, Ripoll route or is there any better option, like either Girona or the coastal area?
Also, once the better part of the day is spent up through Ceret, Collioure, how far can we expect to drive to the Provence area? We'll ultimately be heading to Mas D'Oulivie in Les Baux, but could stay the first night a little west of Nimes and start our Provence itinerary the next day from that approach. So looking for the best stops on the way to Provence and a realistic, recommended place to stay the night as close to Provence as possible. Thanks