Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Foods & Specialties NOT to be missed in Barcelona???

Mar 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping to get some input for an upcoming gastronomic adventure in Barcelona.

I'm starting one of these fun little Moleskine City books where you write your own travel guide and it's a trip journal too (see link below). I wanted to do this prior to the trip, so I can make a list of things not to be missed, especially in the area of food! This is our first trip to Barcelona, and Spain for that matter. I'd really like to experience the local flavor so I thought I'd do a little planning before hand. I would love for any of the food passionate out there to throw out a list!

Also, if there are any off beat sites that aren't to be missed I'd love to hear about that too. We're going to hit the major tourist attractions but I'd like to hear about some quirky or unusual things!

I'm going to xpost the same for Paris!

Thanks!

http://www.moleskine.com/index_eng.php
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Barcelona is such a wonderful eating city that there are innumerable opportunities for excitement; just to get you started, here is one place, which is known for its mondaditos (kind of a canape) made largely from canned ingredients. That may sound uninteresting, but is most certainly is not!

Quimet i Quimet

And for a food lover, the mercado de la Boqueria is absolute heaven.
Mar 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Here you find some hints:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35086408

If you have just one dinner, go to Commerc24.
Mar 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Among the things I thought were wonderful in Barcelona in February (some might be seasonal):

wild mushrooms, crispy thin-sliced artichokes, razor clams, calcots (green onions to be slurped down with romescu sauce), jamon iberico, escalivada (grilled eggplant and peppers), pa amb tomaquet (grilled bread rubbed with tomato, garlic and olive oil), crema catalana, thick hot chocolate, manchego cheese.
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Have you read Maribel's Guide to Barcelona? (http://maribelsguides.com)
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:18 AM

A lovely coffee/nut roastery is just behind Cathedral Santa Maria - Casa Gispert( Carrer Sombrerers 23) - just go in and breathe!