Which Villefranche hotel?

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Which Villefranche hotel?

We're finally down to planning our last leg of our trip in September. We want to stay in Villefranche on the coast and I can't decide on which moderate hotel. The Riviera, The Provencal or the Darse. The Provencal has a good rate, breakfast, a lift and great views. The Riviera seems similar. The Darse apparently has no lift and is further away from the action. All have both good and bad reviews. Anyone stayed in any one of these lately and have an opinion? Your help is much appreciate!

KG
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM

TTT
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I can't really help you, but last year I asked the same question and everyone came back with the Hotel Welcome. So we ended up staying at the Hotel Welcome and really enjoyed it. It did cost more than the others, so I ended up cutting back on other things on our trip rather than the Villefranche hotel. DH really enjoyed it, I think maybe its the location that makes it great.
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM

I can help! I stayed at the Darse last summer, in late July. We loved it. Very clean and well managed. The advice I received was to make sure to reserve an upper floor room with a view out over the harbor. It was spectacular and looked just like the photos on their website. The caveat if you are at all physically impaired (or bring a lot of bags) is that it is up several long flights of stairs (yes, no lift)to have those "rooms with a view". If you can't get a view room, it would probably be better to go with one of your other choices. The breakfasts were fine, and served on a pretty terrace, but not included.

As far as the location, it is just a short and very safe moonlit stroll along a charming cobbled path from the main square, where the Hotel Welcome is. I would say no more than 5 minutes, at strolling speed.

Another plus for us, based there for a week, without a car, was that this location was about equally distant to the bus and train stations- well, a little closer for the bus, maybe.

A spectacular day was walking to Cap Ferrat to the Rothschild gardens and harbor.

You will love Villefranche!
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks happytotravel and sglass for your input. I did get some feedback over on the trip advisor boards and decided to reserve the Provencal. i hope to have a VERY good report for you all when we return in September.

--KG
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Provencal last May for 3 nights. I read Trip Advisor and there were so many conflicting reports so I was a little hesitant to follow through with my reservation. In truth, it was a lovely place to stay. There really weren't any negatives for us other than there was not an official parking lot or spaces designated for the hotel guests.

Just to make certain that we were going to get one of the rooms like the room shown on their website (because some of the reviews spoke about run down, stinky rooms that were horrible), I emailed them and simply told them I had read some very disturbing reviews about some of their rooms and I wanted to absolutely confirm that we would be given a large room with floor to ceiling french doors and a terrace that looked out onto the water. And sure enough that is exactly what we got. By the way, if you don't mind, what rate are you paying for your room - I'm intrested in whether prices have gone up much. We paid $140 for a double room as described above.

The breakfast is better than the average European Hotel offering and the setting beautiful as you can eat inside a garden room or out in the actual garden.

The staff was extremely kind, cheery and ever so helpful.

We felt well located for taking day trips to explore Eze, Monaco, La Turbie and of course DH had to play a round of golf at the Monte Carlo golf course.

Oh...the gentleman at the Hotel Provencal's front desk recommended a cafe where we had some of the best pizza on our entire trip through France and Italy... I can't remember the name of the cafe but you might ask him...I felt like this was a recommendation he routinely offered to guests. Anyway it was delightful as we were able to sit outside - it doesn't have view to the sea but is located more in the middle of the medieval residential section not too far from the hotel. We had the most wonderful experience one evening while dining at one of the seaside restaurants in the harbor...there was a birthday party taking up the entire restaurant next to the one where we were dining and at one point the guests all gathered outside and at that point, from two boats positioned in the harbor, a glorious fireworks display filled the sky above the water - it was a special treat!
Have a lovely trip!!!!
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM

We, too, loved the Provencal. We were four couples and were there for several days in October 2007.

By all means ask for a room with terrace and view.

The hotel staff were very nice and extremely helpful when we had to leave several days early because of a death in the family of one of our group.

The view from our little terrace and enjoying breakfast under the orange tree are just a few of the things that are calling us back to complete our visit.

Byrd