Which Utrecht hotel for 2 week stay?

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Utrecht hotel for 2 week stay?

My husband and I will be traveling to The Netherlands for 10 days in July because he will be in working in Amersfoort and I have decided on the spur-of-the-moment to join him. Rather than staying in the Hilton Royal Parc near Amersfoort where the company has reserved a room, we were thinking of staying in Utrecht, and would appreciate your recommendations on hotels there. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:28 AM

What do you expect from a hotel? Should it provide all of the formal luxury one can think of or do you prefer a more cozy environment?

We often put people in the Sandton hotel if they wish to stay in Utrecht instead of here in Amersfoort. Hotel Dom is quite good too (and luxurious).
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:52 AM

The Hilton is just down the road from me, and in a lovely setting, but probably too far from anything for you if you don't have a car while he is working.

What sort of hotel do you want? One slap bang in the centre of things? Luxurious? Price range?
If he is working in Amersfoort have you considered staying there? You will have good public transport links from there too, though admittedly the hotel choices are more limited.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Price range is 150 Euros. Doesn't have to be luxurious but want a nice size room, close to things to see, places to eat, etc. for the days I don't drive hubby to work so I can keep the car. It looked as if Utrecht has lots of train options and had more to see than Amersfoort.

Any thoughts on Park Plaza Utretch and the Karel V?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:10 AM

I've stayed at the NH that is a block away from the Park Plaza, and the one minus for staying that side of the train station is that the first 5 or 10 minutes of walking are across broad, busy, uninteresting main thoroughfares (or through the train station cum shopping mall). It would probably be more atmospheric to stay at the Karel V, or someplace even closer to heart of town near the main canal. (Try pulling up the hotel map at www.bookings.nl then waving the cursor over the different hotel offerings - - Bookings.com is great for hotel ratings as well as price and selection). If you stay right in the beautiful center, even if you have to walk to the train station each day, the walks will be memorable.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thought we were going to have a choice but found out that my husband's company put us in the Utrecht Park Plaza.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM

Dear B_and_B, My husband and I will also be going to Utrecht for 2 weeks for business (in mid-January). How did you like the Utrecht Park Plaza hotel? Was the location fine? Do you wish you had stayed at a different hotel and, if so, which one and why. Also, any restaurants or sights that you really liked in Utrecht? Thanks for any help you can give me.