Which travel insurance company?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which travel insurance would you consider the best or close to the best?

Do you have any experiences to related, positive or negative, to your travels?

What are the outstanding elements, if any, that one should look for in a travel insurance policy?

This is mostly for European travel.

TIA! I'm so lost that any response would help immensely!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM

You can compare policies at these sites:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

It takes a while to carefully compare the features and coverage. We've bought different ones depending on the trip, who is going etc.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM

We had to file a claim last fall when my husband came down with pancreatitis about 2 months before our mid September departure to Germany. There were 3 of us traveling together and I had to rebook all 3 tickets and paid a $250 pp fee.

The insurance policy we had was with TravelSafe. I had purchased it online through www.squaremouth.com. They required an Attending Physicians Statement but I also provided additiional documentation showing his hospitalization dates and that he was still taking pain medication which would prevent him from driving.

Within a couple week of filing the paperwork, I received a check for the full amount requested.

I also had paid $350 pp for a Biz Class upgrade that AA allowed me to transfer to our rebooked flights in October. However, due to overbooking in Biz Class, we couldn't get upgraded. I sent TravelSafe a letter referencing the original claim and included the receipt for the upgrades as well as a postcard we received from AA saying that the upgrade copayment was non refundable. Within a couple of weeks, I received payment in full from TravelSafe.

I was very happy with their response time and handling of the claims. I have purchased another policy from them for our September 2011 trip to Europe.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM

Further to your post, you need to look for those elements that are most important to you.

IF one of your priorities is medical coverage, you should look for pre-existing coverage. In most instances, you have to purchase the insurance within a certain number of days (10-15 normally) after making the first payment on your trip.

On squaremouth.com, you can filter the policy results by category such as medical, trip cancellation, etc., and then compare the policies side by side.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM

What you are buying is an odd based usage model depending product.

You need to identify what are the key features YOU need (not someone else's.)

For example, cancel for any cause option enables you to protect from wider causes; however, it usually doubles the premium. The plain type of premium is somewhere around 20 to 1 odd (pay $1 to protect $20). Cancel for any reason changes to about 10 to 1 odd. So whether you need to pursue this option or not depends very much on your assessment of the chances. You need to do this to each of features that add significantly to the premium.

Pay careful attention to the exclusion clauses. There are many. Don't buy insurance by the "features" list alone. You need to actually read the fine print terms and conditions to really understand what they are offering and not offering.

And finally, you need to know just what documentations they require in order to make a successful claim. You do not want to come home to find you needed documents you should have obtained while you were there. What bettyk's experience underlines the importance of having a good documentation trail as well as choosing a company.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM

I've had very good experiences with Travelex ... http://tinyurl.com/26nrckf
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wonderful replies. It certainly helps to have experienced people answer the questions!

when I traveled for business these medical areas weren't my concern, it was always the secretary who had to take care of all the odds and ends.

Travelling for myself, before 9/11, I just bought the travel insurance from the machine at the airport. It was never needed.

Nowadays, with increasing unrest and terrorism, travel insurance needs have become so much more complicated.

I've gotten quotes from several hundred to several thousand dollars and really didn't feel like reading all the small print associated with each quote.

My needs aren't so much medical, as my own States-side policy extends to worldwide emergencies.

So, the need is basically evacuation (for whatever reason) and possible cancellation.

Are there general categories that one could apply for that cover these areas? Or does the specific reason have to be listed in order for it to be covered? For example, who would have thought of volcano eruption coverage before the Icelandic volcano erupted?
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM

ET: Hope you are still keeping an eye on this thread, please give me a call or email at your earliest convenience, thanks.