Medical Insurance

May 13th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Medical Insurance

I'mm looking into medical insurance for the 1st time with a trip. My husband and I are healthy, but I work im medical field and know how "stuff can happen." Granted the fee in nominal - but what good is it if $ has to be reinbursed to you ? My regular medical insurance will do that, although, they would bury me in paperwork. Has anybody any thoughts or experiences ??
May 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Since you work i the medical field then you probably already know that no two policies are exactly alike. This is true in terms of what is/is not covered when traveling outside your home area. Medicare does not cover care outside the US, but private policies vary widely - and not just by type (PPO, HMO, POS, indemnity, etc.)- soyou really need to check your own policy before deciding what additional coverage you may need to purchase (or not.)
In my own experience, when my mother had to be hospitalized in Europe, her insurer (Aetna, an HMO product) provided absolutely stellar service - we never saw a bill, they worked directly with the hospital business office. Down the hall from her was another woman from the US whose family was distraught because their policy (not sure what type) covered nothing.
May 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM

<<< My regular medical insurance will do that >>>

Even abroad? Will it cover you for medical repatriation, transfer to a better hospital or (God forbid) a flight in a coffin home?

And what about the bills your partner will be running up while you are in hospital - who will pay for new flight tickets, who'll pay for the extra nights in hotels?

May 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM

As I write, a good friend of mine is hospitalized in Krems, Austria, with a broken leg; she and her husband were biking along the Danube, and she had an accident, which required surgery and hip-to-toe cast. From what her husband emails, Assist America through their University of Pgh. HMO is taking care of everything, including business class seats home this week.

I have really good travel medical insurance through my employment (not used as yet, knock on wood), but these friends' experience has made me very aware of how careful I must be when choosing my Medi-gap (I think that's what it's called?) insurance when I retire in Sept.
May 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM

read the small print. Be sure your policy also covers repatriation...sometimes commercial is not feasible and air ambulance costs$$$$.
May 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Travelbunny is right. My mother got sick in China, and had to return to Canada by air medivac. The cost of the flight alone was $101,000 - covered by her medical insurance.