Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > I screwed up award reservations in Paris. Where to go instead for 1 night?

I screwed up award reservations in Paris. Where to go instead for 1 night?

Jun 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

I screwed up award reservations in Paris. Where to go instead for 1 night?

My mom and I are going to London, Bath, and Paris in September. I am "taking" her, meaning I am using many many airline miles and hotel points to get us both there... that is the only way I could afford this trip. So I booked 5 nights at the Hyatt Churchill in London, then 3 nights at the Hilton Bath, then I *thought* 5 nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. However, I made a mistake somewhere along the way where I accidentally cancelled the first night at the Paris hotel (was changing dates around) and now when I check, my reservation at the Park Hyatt starts on the 23rd... and we arrive in Paris on the 22nd! And of course, there's no longer availability for the 22nd, and the rate for that night is 630 euros, which I cannot afford!

So upon arriving at CDG on the 22nd, what should we do? Should we just stay in a different hotel for one night, or is there someplace we should go for that first night in Paris, like Bayeux or Giverny? I was actually thinking of trying to incorporate going to Bayeux at some point during this trip, but not sure if that would be too crazy to just go for what amounts to 1/2 a day and then the morning the next day. I'd obviously like to find a destination that we could get to directly from CDG.... and then it'd have to be somewhere that would be relatively easy to get to the Park Hyatt without changing modes of transport too many times. We're two women and I'm sure we're going to have too much luggage!!!

Of course there is a slim chance that an award night may become available between now and then, but I'd like to have a back up plan!!
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Giverny is not one of the direct one from CDG by train, because you have to go to Paris Nord station first than move over to St. Lazare station before taking a train to Vernon. It's about 2.5hr using a combination of trains or with a taxi.

Bayeux requires the same Paris Nord to St. Lazare change and takes about 3hrs.

In Paris, there are hotels like www.hotelbonaparte.fr showing 127EU for 9/22 for two. While you need to take a taxi back to Park Hyatt, the ones near the Park Hyatt are rather high end hotels so you will probably have the same issue as the Park Hyatt.
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM

What time do you arrive at CDG? If it is the morning, here is what I would do. Book a hotel for the 22nd near the airport. You can get a 4 star on Hotwire.com for $133 Dollars a night. Probably less if you bid on Priceline. It may be in Roissy, about 1.5 miles away, but last time I was there they ran a bus from the airport to the local hotels.

I wouldn't check into the hotel on arrival, I'd rent a car for the day. Sixt has them for 76 Euros and Avis has them for 60. If you can't drive a stick, it will cost a little more. I'd drive to Bayeux for the day, about 3 hours on the Autoroute. See the tapestry, the cathedral, the WWII museum and have a leisurely dinner. Drive back to CDG that evening and check into your hotel. Bring the car back in the morning and catch the train/bus/taxi into Paris.

You can have a day out of the city before you ever reach the city. It'll cost $200+ for the hotel and car, but not really a bad deal. Good luck and have fun.
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM

I think you have solved your problem yourself, go to Giverny your first night. It will involve changing stations in Paris (to St Lazare) but is well worth the journey. There is a lovely very French hotel not too far away on the river, La Chaine d'Or at Les Andelys.
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:00 AM

Have you been to Versailles? why not head there that first day/night. It's close, easy to get to and you are bound to find an acceptable room for the night.
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Why don;t you get across from England at stay in Normandy for instance, such a fascinating destination, Bayeux has nice little hotels very inexpensive, you can focus on the Tapestry and then go to Paris. There must be a ferry that takes you close to Bayeaux. Then you can go on to you plush hotel . Goodluck
Jun 8th, 2011, 04:11 AM

Wait--you are flying to CDG from England? Why not take the Eurostar into Paris and stay at a hotel near the Gare du Nord where it arrives. They will be cheap and very convenient. Then just cab to your plush hotel the next day.
Flying really makes the trip MUCH more complicated than it needs to be.
I would not go to Bayeux. It will just be frustrating trying to see all that in a day. You could rent a car and go to Rouen or even Giverney and spend the night after sightseeing. Turning the car in and getting into Paris will not be particularly "fun" in my opinion.
I would go into Paris and stay. The extra day will be MUCH enjoyed.
Jun 8th, 2011, 05:37 AM

Have you called the hotel and spoken to them directly? sometimes they can do something for you.

Otherwise, I would take my luggage to the ParkHyatt, have them keep it, then take a small overnight bag to my other nearby city hotel and enjoy the city.
Jun 8th, 2011, 06:46 AM

It's relatively easy to get to Chantilly and Senlis from CDG, so you could take the bus there and spend the night and see the chateau and tour the old medieval town, then go on into Paris.

I personally don't think it makes much sense to go into Paris to catch a train to get out of Paris just for one night, so I'd nix Giverny and Bayeux and stay to the east of the city or actually go into the city for one night in another hotel.

There's no reason two women should have excess baggage, by the way. That shouldn't be a gender issue, just a practical one.
Jun 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM

I am with Gretchen on the Eurostar into Paris...much better if you can do it.

I also would just suck it up and get another hotel for one night. Trying to travel to another city for one day will waste more time than it will afford you the chance to visit and enjoy.

I would call the hotel directly, if you haven't already to see what they can do for you.
Jun 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
ira

Hi Jen,

Another vote for the Bonaparte.

Jun 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

We're flying into CDG because it's part of the same FF ticket, so Eurostar is not an option.

I think I figured out a solution - I have plenty of Priority Club points so I booked one night at the Intercontinental, which fortunately had availability. In the meantime I will call the Hyatt to see if there's anything that can be done, but at least I have a back up hotel that is not too far from the Park Hyatt!!
Jun 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Love those points!
Jun 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM

LeGrand Intercontinental is lovely..we stayed there about a yr and half ago and enjoyed it.
More room than the average Paris hotel room and the bar was a great place to unwind. We ended every night with Champagne and the chips and olives they serve it with. Nice perfume shop across the street called Divine!

Enjoy

Search this Thread