Reload this Page >

WHICH town in Cinque Terre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Diane

So excited to be planning a trip to Italy next month... going to be in Cinque Terre for 2 days. <BR><BR>Any recommendations on which of the 5 towns to stay in? Would also love hotel recommendations! My boyfriend and I are in our early 30s, looking for someplace within the $100-150 US price range. <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Diane<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
xxx

Never been there, but going next month for the first time. However, I made reservations in Feb. and ran into many places that were already booked for late May. You may have some trouble finding a place on such short notice. Hopefully someone will have some ideas regarding lodging.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Diane

Wow -- thanks for the warning! I'll be booking by this weekend at the latest. just curious, did you go through a travel agent, or did you call or e-mail places on your own? <BR><BR>Diane<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:07 PM
sandy

Try this website, which seems to have some good ideas: http://home.sunrise.ch/avong/cinque_terre/index.htm

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:13 PM
xxx

I made reservations by email - no problem at all. It probably limited my choices somewhat, since I'm sure there are countless hotels/rooms in the CT that do not take reservations by email, but it seemed to me to be the easiest thing to do. Even hotels with no availability responded via email. <BR><BR>You might try a few searches on this forum and on Yahoo under "Cinque Terre." There are a couple of websites that have general information on accomodations in the Cinque Terre area. Good luck! <BR><BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Db

I've been to Cinque Terre and it is magical and my favorite place I've ever visited in the entire world. I really think that staying in any of the "Five Lands" will be amazing. The towns are easliy accessible so you can hop around between them.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Patrick

The most hotels, and frankly the least atmospheric of the towns is the largest and northernmost -- Monterossa. We stayed at Marina Piccolo in Manarola and loved it. Vernazza is great, but not many places to stay -- I guess that is what makes Manarola and Vernazza so special -- the fact that there are so few places to stay.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:16 PM
KAM

Diane, <BR><BR>If you search on this site for Da Baranin or Casa Capellini you will find great places to stay in CT. These places are both in Manarola. I will admit that I haven't been there yet, but researched both extensively and chose Capelinni for my June honeymoon. Good luck! And please post a trip report when you get back, as I don't leave until June 16th and it would be a big help to me! <BR><BR>PS, a special thanks to all on this site who post serious/knowledgeable responses- us novices learn so much from you all!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:26 AM
zootsi

We just came back from this area, and stayed in Levanto, which is technically not part of CT, but is actually the last town on the hiking trail. It is a small beach resort, with lots of hotel options, and great places to eat. The hiking trail from Levanto to Monterossa is the most challenging, taking about 3 hours. If this is too much, the train from Levanto to Monterossa is a five minute ride. We stayed at a place called Sarifina, which had newly renovated, simple rooms for about $50 a night. There is a free public parking lot right next to this place.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Travis

Diane-<BR><BR>I stayed in Monterossa last year, and it is the most blah of the five, but still small and chaming and you can play Bocce Ball with the locals if you ask nice! I agree with Patrick in that Vernazza is the most charming of the five. Honestly they are all quite similar, but in diferent ways. I would stay at one in the middle area, because whenever we went to the other towns, Monterossa was always a long train ride back (only 10-15 mins) to the end, but we wished that we were located more in the middle. Have fun, it's beautiful, great seafood!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:50 AM
GGinSF

Based upon recommendations here I've booked a couple nights at Trattoria Gianni Franzi in Vernazza. I've heard there is a little more to do in the evening than in some of the other small towns. I imagine there are lots of restaurants/cafes in Monterossa but it didn't sound as atmospheric. The Gianni Franzi is also mentioned by Rick Steves and Frommers. I booked by fax (011-39-0187-812228).

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I guess it's a testimony to how wonderful the Cinque Terre are for Monterosso to be called "blah". I don't disagree that the others are more charming (esp Manarola), but let's not make it sound like Monterosso is a charmless commercial city. We found it to be a perfect base - easy parking (you can't park in the other towns), good hotel choices and at least one or two places open in the evening. It's still a great small coastal town.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:14 AM
jsplitz

Hey<BR><BR>Every village is absolutley incredible, the least of which is definalty Monterosso. I would recommend Riomaggiore, I spent 6 days there, and loved every minute of it, Vernazza is very very cool as well. In Riomaggiore try and get a room overlooking the Ocean.<BR><BR>Have fun

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:07 PM
KAM

TO GGinSF: <BR><BR>Please be sure you get a confirmation, as I tried to book at that hotel by email 4 months in advance and they were full for my June dates. I was warned that if you don't get a reply hotels in CT usually didn't make you a reservation. (it is too $$$ for them to respond to every fax since many are international)<BR><BR>Sorry I don't still have the email address to give you. Good luck - I hope you are able to stay there, please post a trip report when you get back and let us know!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:36 PM
jeri

Diane-<BR>I'm going to CT next month too. Will be there May 28,29,30,31. Had a tough time finding accomodations in Vernazza but went with Martina Callo's place based on info from Rick Steves' book. She emailed me right back, with pictures of the room we were going to stay in. It is 57 euros pp/night but I think its worth it since it has a beautiful view (based on her photos) of the coast. Pick up his book and call or email the recommendations, I don't think you'll be disappointed (that is if you can get a room/hotel). I do have to say though that there really aren't many "hotels" to stay at in the CT, mostly just apartments and "rooms to rent". <BR>One last bit- my brother goes every year, raves about Vernazza, and gets off the train, walks into the local TI and gets an apartment for about 60 euros/night. I'm not that adventurous.<BR><BR>Good luck, maybe we'll see you there.<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Diane

MILLE GRAZIE for all the suggestions! I'll probably make a million calls tomorrow in the area to finally book something -- shooting for Vernazza, but I know I can't be too picky, since I'm only booking 1 month in advance. <BR><BR>I'll definitely post here upon my return!