Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which small beach town north of Porto should we choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2023, 02:18 PM
gwp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I are planning a 2-week trip to Portugal in late July to early August. Our itinerary is still pretty fuzzy at this point, but we'll be flying into Lisbon and out of Porto, and spending at least several days in each city. We'd like to end with a few days along the coast, hopefully in a small-ish beach town with a laid-back vibe. We considered the coast north of Lisbon (e.g. Peniche or Nazare), but it looks pretty zoo-ey given it's high season. Now we're thinking of the coast north of Porto, and wondering about whether Apulia, Esposende or possibly Vila Praia de Âncora might fit the bill. We're not looking to spend all day at the beach each day but would love a mix of scenery/views, beach or other nature walks, fresh seafood and local ambience, and if there's interesting history and architecture, even better. I'd love to hear your thoughts about any of these towns or other suggestions. We considered Viana do Castelo but it seems bigger and more bustling than we're looking for.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As per my experience these are the best options for you "Vila do Conde and Povoa de Varzim" north of Porto. Villa do Conde is a lovely village on a 6 kilometer stretch of sand that has kept its mediaeval core.