Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which of these destinations would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a couple in our late 20s and have 1 week to travel in early June. We're going back and forth between the following options so I thought I'd see where you would go

We'll be flying in/out of Frankfurt if that matters. Our options are listed in slight order of preference.

Croatia: Split, Dubrovnik, probably an island - with day-trips to Bosnia and Montenegro

Spain: Flying into Madrid to catch train to Seville, Valencia, home from Barcelona

Prague, then train to Budapest, stopping along the way in Bratislava and a couple of smaller towns
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Croatia is scenic , and you can swim in the sea. The cities are charming and small .

Prague and Budapest ( have not been there) I suspect would be more of "city" holiday.

Barcelona would be a nice spot for a week. A great city AND the beach!
One week is too short (IMO) to hop all over Spain.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Considering your time restrictions, of the choices you offered, I would do Prague and Budapest.

You must subtract one day for each day of travel. Flights to and from Europe reduce your time to only five days. Then you'll need to subtract one day for travel between cities. That would leave you with two days in Prague and two days in Budapest.

Both cities are wonderful, and you could hit the highlights.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
ira

Hi C,

You have only 1 week.

Have you been to Paris?

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM

Your time is very short for Europe as one poster explained.

With your first choice, I would forget Split ( which was our least favorite place in 45+ days in Croatia last summer).

Go to Dubrovnik and stay on the beach ( you can have both there just like Barcelona). You then can see the city ( preferably on a non cruise ship day or night), hang at the beach, & easily take ferries to islands. It is cheap to rent a car and do a day trip to bay of Kotor in Montenegro.

Maybe do the 3 island day tour, but forget Bosnia as you just do not have time and even these two daytrips ( islands & Kotor) are a lot.

In #2, I would just do Madrid & Seville ( and even that is pushing it with your time frame). Just Barcelona is another idea, but you will get more of a real feel of Spain with Madrid & Seville.

In #3 do just Prague, that is more than enough in your time frame.

I would also fly into and out of the cities you want to see to save time and effort if you possibly can.

Do a lot of research, because with less time, you really have to have a great plan ( and some familiarity with transit systems is also helpful).
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughtful replies! We'll continue mulling this over Happily, we're flying in/out of Frankfurt and continuing our stay there which helps a bit in terms of timing.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:29 AM

If Frankfurt is your gateway, then go to either Prague or Paris and spend a week. Or, Munich and Bavaria for a week.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

The tips keep on rolling in, yay! Paris and Germany are not on our list - I love, love, love Paris but we want to go somewhere new to us. We've been to Bavaria several times also.

We're pretty set on some type of travel related to our options above - it's so hard to decide when so many places look amazing
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Rome
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:34 AM

I have visited Europe many times. Visit the Eastern countries of Europe as they are still living in the true ways of their culture. Also, the American dollar is still to your advantage. Prague, Croatia and Poland are great. Don't miss the open markets and the ethnic food.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM

'Go to Dubrovnik and stay on the beach ( you can have both there just like Barcelona)"

Dubrovnik is lovely but very small. It does not have all the art , great food ,and the "buzz" of Barcelona.

Madrid is a huge city with great museums \ Seville is a place many consider the "real Spain" , it may be rather hot in June.