Search

Croatia, Budapest, Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia, Budapest, Prague

Hi All,

Planning a trip for this coming fall....flying from LAX to Dubrovnik, Croatia, making my way to Budapest and Prague before flying back home from Prague. I have 13 days in total (lose a day flying).

I need a lot of suggestions - things not to miss, hotels, and especially travel from Croatia to Budapest and Budapest to Prague. (I'd rather not fly in between countries, but don't want to use too much time traveling between either.)

I have a ton of time, and am still very much in the planning stage, but I love these forums and enjoy hearing suggestions from others. I am traveling alone (I'm a female in my mid-30's), so when it comes to hotels, I prefer safe (with some luxury also - budget is not so much an issue).

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 04:22 PM
kja

Are you fully committed to including Croatia with Budapest and Prague? You would be covering a LOT of ground, losing a chunk of time to transportation, and missing many things in between. There are all lovely places to visit, but with only 13 days total, it might be worth thinking of ways to minimize your travel time. Just a thought!
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's easy to connect Budapest and Prague by train, but not so easy to connect Dubrovnik and Budapest. If you insist on starting in Dubrovnik you might want to fly that leg. Alternatively, ferry or bus to Split and train from there, but it will take a day and a night from Split.

See bahn.de and whichbudget.com and seat61.com
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

In my head, I had committed to all 3, but I am open to suggestions. I would really like to see Budapest and Prague..they've been on my list for years. But, Croatia is my main destination right now. What would you suggest?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Well, you could go throught Bosnia. That's what I did in 2011, but it would limit how much of Croatia you saw.

Click on my name for my B trip TRs - you want parts three and four.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM

You only have 12 days which is not a lot of time to cover this area. Where in Croatia are you planning? Why are you opposed to flying?

You'll lose a day on the train between Budapest and Prague and a day between Split and Budapest (20 hours; I couldn't find a schedule for Dubrovnik to Budapest) so your total sightseeing time is 10 days to cover 2 cities and 1 country.

Since Croatia is your primary focus I would choose either Budapest or Prague but not both so as to have enough time in Croatia.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM

adrienne - The reason you can't find a train scedule between Dubrovnik and Split is because there isn't a rail connection. It's bus or boat or drive yourself.

Julesua - What exactly do you want to see in Croatia? If it's just Dubrovnik I'd urge you to drop Croatia, the town is overrun with cruise ship passengers.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Hi Julesua,

I'm considering going to Prague and Croatia in the fall too. What did you decide on your itinerary? I'm also traveling solo so if anyone can help with any advice and suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Julie