Austria - Prague - Budapest - Croatia

May 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Austria - Prague - Budapest - Croatia

I know I'm thinking a bit far ahead, but I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip for next June (2015). I'll be taking a course with my university in Madrid and my friend and I would like to trave around central Europe after it finishes. We're both in our early twenties and have traveled together in Europe and South America before. We like good food, a fun nightlife, and pretty scenery. We don't want to rent a car (because we can't drive a manual...) but we are open to all other forms of transportation.

Our desired destinations include:
- Graz & Vienna Austria (visiting friends)
- Croatia (not sure where)
- Prague
- Budapest

How many days would you think we'd need to accomplish this? Where in Croatia would you recommend going? What order would make the most sense and what forms of transportation would you recommend?

Any other general thoughts/comments would be appreciated!
May 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Easy to do by train.

If you pre-plan and pre-book, it's remarkably cheap.

For trains leaving Vienna, use www.oebb.at (Vienna to Budapest from €19, Vienna to Prague from €29, Vienna to Zagreb from €29)

For trains leaving Prague use www.cd.cz/eshop - Prague to Budapest or Vienna from €19.

For trains from Budapest use www.mav-start.hu - Budapest to Vienna from €13, Budapest-Prague from €19, Budapest-Zagreb from €29.

Trains from Zagreb can't be booked online, just buy those at the station. Dames goes for Zagreb to Split.
May 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM

For Croatia, I suggest you look at the numerous Croatia posts here for information (Go to the Europe forum and choose "Croatia" from the country list at the top to filter.). Most people who visit Croatia go to Dubrovnik, an island like Hvar or Korcula, and perhaps Plitvice Lakes National Park. Trains don't run down the Dalmatian coast (to Dubrovnik) though, but there is a good bus system in Croatia, and you can take ferries and catamarans along the coast.

easyJet has seasonal flights into/out of Split and Dubrovnik to various European cities if that helps facilitate your return, but of course you won't be able to check the schedule yet for 2015.
May 15th, 2014, 05:47 AM

Investigate the European East Railpass valid on trains in Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland - hop on any train anytime - no cumbersome booking on hard to use web sites for discounted tickets that being limited in numbers must be booked often weeks in advance to get then are typically set in stone.

And in Eastern Europe first class has immense benefits often IME over 2nd class - on the trip of a lifetime don't scrimp - relaxed in first class IMO.

For lots of great info on European and Eastern Europe trains check out www.seat61.com - Man in Seat 61 who posts above his commercial site - check out his commercial link to RailEurope for Eastern European Pass prices and also www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Cheapest is not always the best money-wise decision IMO and IME.
May 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM

In Vienna do not miss a day trip to the nearby Wachau Valley, along the prettiest part of the whole Danube perhaps just west of Vienna.

Take a train to Melk - tour the famous Melk Abbey there - boat a boat down the Danube thru the vineyard-carpeted Wachau Valley to say Durnstein - a famous wine town with a famous ruined castle where Richard-the-Lion-Hearted was once held for ransom after being nabbed going to or from some Crusade.

Then take another boat or bus or walk the several miles to Krems, a bigger more commercial town but a pleasant one to take a train back to Vienna.

Buy an all-inclusive ticket from Vienna to Melk including abbey admission, boat fare, and train fare back to Vienna - buy it in the station in Vienna.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wach...=1600&bih=1075
May 15th, 2014, 12:47 PM

If you pre-plan and pre-book, it's remarkably cheap.>

tis true but if you travel on trains enough the European East Pass can rival the cost of a series of discounted tickets in those countries - and what folks touting 'from 19 euros', etc do not point out is that those tickets are sold in limited numbers and thus to guarantee must be booked weeks or months in advance and then are often non-changeable non-refundable - for full flexibility to hop any train anytime and for not really that much more moolah consider the pass. Cheapest is not always the best deal.

Search this Thread