Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which of these are stoller friendly? Please help me add 2 more cities to my trip.

Search

which of these are stoller friendly? Please help me add 2 more cities to my trip.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:29 AM
valerie

My dear husband and I are going in of sort off 2nd honeymoon this January.Unlike our 1st honeymoon our 1 year old daughter Nina will be coming along this time. We have booked a week in Paris. We feel since we have made it to europe we would like to also see Italy too. We want somewhere that would be stoller friendly. I know we cant go to many places with Nina so we would like to go to 2 of following:- Venice, florence, Rome or Sorrento.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:33 AM
go

whats a stoller?

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:38 AM
valerie

Ops I meant stroller or baby pram.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Marj

Much of the streets in Italy are cobblestone which can make it difficult to push a stroller. I think FLorence has more 'flat' sidewalks and is very compact, so not too much walking. Rome has very narrow sidewalks and lots of cobblestone. Venice also may be difficult but without the car traffic to worry about. If you want to do 2 of them, i think either Venice/FLorence or Rome/Sorrento (on the basis of location). I think I would go with Venice/FLorence.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Leslie

You should look into buying a stroller like many joggers use, with the largest circumference, making it much easier to push on all types of surfaces.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:05 AM
xx

Leave "Nina" at home. Save yourself the aggravation.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:11 AM
nope

None of these cities are stroller or child friendly. Either go alone or forget it for 10 years.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:46 AM
no

I can only comment on Venice - the crowded streets and many, many bridges with stairs to cross could make this a nightmare for you.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Lesli

I'd recommend a backpack-type baby carrier over a stroller for nearly any city I've been to in Europe. I specifically recall watching a woman struggle to get a stroller up and down stairs to a bridge in Venice, and would not want to navigate one there myself.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Marj

Have you considered one of those backpack style carriers for your 1 year old. I don't know how big she is, but that could make things a lot easier.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Linda

I can't help you with location, but I can say to absolutely do NOT take a jogging stroller with large wheel circumference. We took one to Paris last spring and found it was just too big for almost everywhere! It was difficult to fold up to take on the metro, we kept running into people in crowds, and heaven forbid we even try taking it into any of the museums. After a half day we left it in the hotel and bought a heavy-duty umbrella stroller for $40. Still difficult to manuever, but 100% better than the jogger. Our son was about 40 lbs at the time so a backpack was out but that would have been my first choice.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:55 PM
trying

I remember seeing a local in Haarlem pushing her sleeping baby in an umbrella stroller across the cobblestones near the square. If a baby is sleepy, he or she will sleep.