Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which museums do you recommend for sculpture?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per Rick Steves the National Museum of Rome has the best Roman sculptures.

However, the Borgello in Florence has a wonderful collection of sculptures too. I know the David is at the Academia in Florence but the Borgello is supposed to have a wider sculpture collection.

Which of these two museums Borgello in Florence or National Museum of Rome do you recommend for sculpture?

What about the Capitoline Museum in Rome? Do you recommend a visit there? That museum has sculptures and mosaics.

Let's not forget about the Borghese which I believe is high on everyone's lists with Bernini sculptures and paintings by the masters--Caravaggio, Raphael, and Titan to name a few.

So many choices and such little time. Which of any of these museums did you enjoy most? I know art is very subjective but I want to hear people's opinions on what they liked.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:41 PM

I've only been to the Borgello in Florence, and cannot speak for the rest, but the Borgello is well worth a visit. It also does not take long to go through the entire museum, if i remember correctly.

Are you also visiting the Uffizi and Academia in Florence? If it's your first visit, and you have limited time, I would make those two a priority on your Florence visit.

I hope to visit Rome for the first time next fall, and I'm also interested in the responses here.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

BumbleB6--Yes would like to see both the Uffizi and the Academia for the David statue when in Florence. Then was wondering which other museums we should visit. Trying to do a mix of archeological sites, gardens, and museums along with the food and wine and gelato!

Obviously we won't have time for it all--we would need a month in each place at a minimum so would like some feedback to help us narrow it down. What were some people's favorite places or what places did they not enjoy due to crowds etc.?

In Rome there is of course the Vatican museums-maps, tapestries, Raphael rooms-can you appreciate any of it though with the throngs of other tourists? Is it better to see some of the lessor visited museums which can be enjoyed more?

Has anyone visited the Galleria Doria Pamphilj? I am sure no comparison to the Vatican Museums and I am not trying to equate them in any way but a nice diversion from the crowds? I keep coming up with more questions.
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:48 PM

No, you will not have time for them all! All you can do is try to decide which ones you want to see the most, and visit those first. If you have time, then you can visit another..
To be honest, this is how I came to visit the Bargello - I usually do not plan too much for each day. It is usually myself, husband and teen daughter. Well, the latter, liking to sleep in, can slow us down sometimes!

So, we were in Florence and had seen the Uffizi and Academia, and had planned to see the Galileo Museum that day, per my husband's request - and the latter was closed, despite what the guidebook said. So we were wondering what to do instead. We walked by the Bargello and people were going in and out. So, we went to the Bargello! We hadn't planned on it, but it was a pleasant surprise and I'm happy we went - so much that I can't believe we hadn't planned on it before.
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The national museum of Etruscan art in Chiusi is spectacular and makes you realise how johnny-cum-lately the Romans were.
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:05 AM

The National Roman Museum has four different sites.Two of them (Palazzo Massimo alle Terme and Palazzo Altemps) largely feature Roman sculptures, but the sculptures at Palazzo Massimo are world-class ancient sculptures, so that's probably the one Rick means. The Capitoline Museums, also in Rome, have a collection of ancient Roman sculpture that at least rivals that of Palazzo Massimo, though. Both museums have some very famous masterpieces, and both have other interesting exhibits besides sculpture. Both have superb Roman mosaics, and Palazzo Massimo has beautiful Roman wall frescoes from the Villa of Livia, wife of the Emperor Augustus. Both also have Roman coins and other articles. Palazzo Massimo has some beautiful Roman glass.

The Bargello Museum in Florence can't really be compared with Palazzo Massimo or the Capitoline Museums, because its sculptures are from the Italian Renaissance period, more than 1000 years later. It has some masterpieces, especially the two statues of David by Donatella. If you prefer Renaissance sculpture to Classical sculpture, you might prefer this to Palazzo Massimo (or the Capitoline Museums).

The Borghese Gallery, has a famous collection of Baroque sculpture, especially works by Bernini, representing a period later than the Renaissance. It's a matter of taste; I'm not a big admirer of Bernini, myself.

The Doria Pamphilj Gallery is in a splendid Renaissance palazzo, very well maintained and furnished in period style. The family's collection of art (mostly paintings) is displayed in galleries within the palazzo, and there are some masterpieces among them, but also things by artists now forgotten. The palazzo itself is maybe the main draw.

None of these museums is anywhere near as crowded as the Vatican Museums, although the Borghese Gallery is not terribly far behind.
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:06 AM

http://www.prolocochiusi.it/en/museo...rusco-e-tombe/
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:12 AM

Despite the museum linked above having great sculpture the Uffizi stands out for its AD 1500-1700 pieces (fortunatly not the whole place) and the odd Roman sculptures they have hidden down side alleys. Much of the retained religious stuff that is pre-1500 is so much firewood (note that even the devil does not turn up in Christian paintings until the 1300s (think Black Death and you have about the right date)). Meanwhile the 1800+ period seems to be taken up by distant vista of ships cruising up rivers and shepherds holding their flocks against the storm. (not sure what the icon for finger down the throat is but I tend to see kittens licking the ends of their noses by about this part of the display).

Hope this helps
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:24 AM

I don't know when you're going, but the Uffizi is also very crowded in the summer. I was there once in August, but I enjoyed it much more in January. I've also been to the Vatican Museums in the summer, and found it unbearable. I would never again go in the summer, nor on a Saturday, nor on the "free Sundays" they have. I think the best time to visit the Vatican Museums is on a midweek afternoon in late January.
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:05 AM

The Vatican Museums were fairly crowded in early May, but we still got to see quite a bit and thought it was well worth our time.

Lee Ann
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM

The Chiusi musem is my all-time favorite.
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

I'll put Chiusi on my list for when we are near Siena. We loved the Etruscan art at the British Museum and at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art where they have a wonderful collection of Greek, Roman and Etruscan artifacts.

We are thinking of this for next summer so yes it will most likely be hot and have to factor that into the planning. Still have to work around school schedules.

The Vatican Museums are open on some Friday evenings in the summer at least this year they are--I wonder if that makes any difference in the level of crowds?

Bilboburgler--thanks for the link and descriptions above.

bvlenci--excellent narrative of each of the museums--very helpful--thanks!
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:58 PM

The Veiled Christ in the Capella Sanservo in Naples is another not to miss.