Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Itinerary to Eastern Europe would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have been to all or most of these places but had to choose between "Itinerary A" or "Itinerary B" which would you choose and why? We have 2.5 to 3 weeks max. We can pick any time of year. Thinking late spring, 2022. We've never been to eastern Europe (or these parts of Germany) in our early 70s:

Itinerary A: Germany: Berlin, Wittenberg, Dresden, Elbe River Valley, Czech Republic: Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Slavonice, Slovakia: Bratislava, Hungary: Budapest

Itinerary B: Croatia: Dubrovnik, Karanac, Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes, Opatija Montenegro: Kotor Bosnia & Herzegovina: Mostar, Sarajevo Slovenia: Ljubljana, Lake Bled

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Itinerary B with Dubrovnik, simply because I'd like to go there myself and I've been to many places already in itinerary A.

You're asking what other people would like but this trip is about you. I advise researching each itinerary a bit more and deciding what appeals to you the most. It's a bit like apples and oranges.
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LeslieC
If you have been to all or most of these places but had to choose between "Itinerary A" or "Itinerary B" which would you choose and why? We have 2.5 to 3 weeks max. We can pick any time of year. Thinking late spring, 2022. We've never been to eastern Europe (or these parts of Germany) in our early 70s:

Itinerary A: Germany: Berlin, Wittenberg, Dresden, Elbe River Valley, Czech Republic: Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Slavonice, Slovakia: Bratislava, Hungary: Budapest

Itinerary B: Croatia: Dubrovnik, Karanac, Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes, Opatija Montenegro: Kotor Bosnia & Herzegovina: Mostar, Sarajevo Slovenia: Ljubljana, Lake Bled
Both good list of sites and I've been to them all. The cities in A are bigger with wealthier museums, the cities in B are smaller and more walkable. Walking is very much normal in Europe. Late spring. May? I think would be nicer in B.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 08:01 PM

really none of those countires are in Eastern Europe anyway -all Central Europe
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 06:40 AM

Itinerary A requires more travel time. I recommend all places on both itineraries, but pick destinations that are close together, so you don’t waste too much time on trains between them. 2.5 - 3 weeks is not long; you don’t want to use up your time sitting on trains. Assume you will come back another year to see the rest.
Itinerary B lists places not too far from each other. I would either choose that, or re-work A to keep the travel time to a minimum.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 07:46 AM

It depends on the type of travel you want. Itinerary A is more crowded because there is more to see in the large cities, itinerary B is more leisurely with a greater amount of time spent just walking around.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Itinerary B appeals to me more, seems to flow better.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 11:31 AM

In terms of transport, rail infrastructure is much better along the destinations of itinerary A. You can take coach of course. For itinerary B, you'll rely on coaches unless you drive. Slovenian railway is more well-developed than the rest of the places in itinerary B.

Destinations of itinerary A are also more urbanised than B.

Do you have themes in mind?
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 12:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreycwuk
In terms of transport, rail infrastructure is much better along the destinations of itinerary A. You can take coach of course. For itinerary B, you'll rely on coaches unless you drive. Slovenian railway is more well-developed than the rest of the places in itinerary B.

Destinations of itinerary A are also more urbanised than B.

Do you have themes in mind?

You do realize the OP hasn't bothered to come back/respond in 6+ months . . .