Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Poll: If you had to choose between a cruise and Yellowstone which would you choose?

Search

Poll: If you had to choose between a cruise and Yellowstone which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 38 years old am married with no children. My husband and I have been on an Alaska cruise twice but never to either Yellowstone or a Caribbean cruise. The only other national park we have been to is Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado which we enjoyed. My husband likes to explore nature and take photos and I like to shop, relax, and do some not too strenuous adventures

We are trying to decide between:

Flying from midwest to San Juan for a 7 day Caribbean cruise that ends in New York City and visits St Thomas, Antigua and Bermuda along the way. We have been to none of the ports previously.

Or

Flying to Jackson Wyoming renting a car and spending a week seeing Yellowstone staying at Jackson, West Yellowstone, Gardiner, and Cody. Along with this we would spend a half day white-water rafting and a day horseback riding.

The prices are extremely close so that is not an issue.

Thank You!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It appears your goals are somewhat conflicting.

We live in cruise country (South Florida) and have always stayed away from cruises due to the potential for sea sickness.

That being said, you have two choises; go on separate vacations or take turns.

Yellowstone isn't the only National Park worth visiting. There are many others with amazing sights.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:58 AM

If you haven't been to Yellowstone, I would recommend it. The features are unique, scenery beautiful, animals fascinating; can't imagine choosing a cruise over YNP (you can make it as strenuous or as laid back as you want; people in wheelchairs get around the park and see plenty!)
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:23 AM

Yellowstone. We love National Parks. I have been on a carribean cruise, twice. The Disney cruise was very nice, I admit. You should see Alaska without a cruise sometime. I would stay in the park, not outside the park. Do take a day or two for the Grand Tetons since you are right there. Consider driving the Beartooth HWY. You can go to Yellowstone and see a ton without going very far from your car. We spent the better part of a day, just watching geysers.

If you are considering this trip for this summer, in my opinion, you are to late. I wouldn't go unless I could stay where and when I wanted to. A lot of people will disagree with me on this, but staying in the parks is a great experience. You should try for Old Faithful Inn for sure. We liked Roosevelt Lodge and Lake Hotel. There are a ton of lodging options in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

Plan on spending 1-3 days at Grand Tetons and at least 4 days in Yellowstone.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:00 AM

If it were me it would be Yellowstone hands down with such a wide variety of scenery,wildlife and activities.With Jackson Hole being such a popular ski destination in winter there is also good shopping and restaurants in the area as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Another vote for Yellowstone and Jackson.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM
cd

You can't go wrong, both are good choices!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Yellowstone.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Definitely the cruise! Been to Yellowstone and liked it, but nothing beats a caribbean cruise!

Cleo- What cruise line? Ship?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Caribbean Princess May 17th repositioning cruise is the one I am speaking about.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I haven't been on a cruise yet so I can't help you choose between the two. I am interested in hearing the various opinions as this is something we also kick around.

If you enjoyed Rocky Mountain National Park I think you would also like Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. I go to RMNP several times a year, but the Yellowstone area is my favorite.

I disagree that it is too late to visit Yellowstone this summer. I've been to Yellowstone several times and I have been able to get the lodging of my choice without reserving a year in advance. The only time I can't get the lodging of my choice is when I try to book a year in advance. There are always cancellations. On my last trip I booked the Old Faithful Inn two weeks before my departure date.

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:36 AM

We booked lodging within the park on the same day once in the summer, from a phone in the Norris Basin parking lot!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Yellowstone
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Yellowstone

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. Both good but different. I've done the cruise thing 2 times. They were very nice. Been to Yellowstone also. But the thought of returning to Yellowstone gets me more excited than the thought of another cruise. So I say Yellowstone.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Not a cruise...
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Yellowstone. Wyoming and Montana are stunning. When I was last in Yellowstone I saw 2 bears and heard wolves! Standing on the side of the road, watching a mother bear scratching her back against a fir tree while her cub played nearby was something I'll never forget.

My daughter worked at the Lake Hotel one summer and there were times she was late for her shift because there were bison in the way.

I think you should check to see what availability there is at the parks to help you decide.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Looks like Yellowstone is the grand prize winner of this poll. I will try to see what is up with lodging in and around the park for this year and order some info from www.nps.gov.

Thanks for all your replies.

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We loved staying in a room overlooking Old Faithful. The photos your hubby could get!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
LN

Hi

I've been on 4 cruises, 3 to the Caribbean or this I would probably have to go with Yellowstone and the Tetons. It is truly magnificient in the national parks!! If you decide on Yellowstone you might want to look into going up to Glacier National Park. It's another spectacular park.

There are spas and great shopping in Jackson (really nice shopping). We stayed at the Wort Hotel and really loved it!! Found a good price on the internet.

One thing I could be concerned with on the cruise from St Thomas to NYC would be the number of days at sea without visiting a port.

Good luck with your decision.

Remember to keep trying for a room in Yellowstone. Many times they open up in the last few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -