Which hotel in Rome?

Search

Which hotel in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which hotel in Rome?

My first post and love this site. Three woman traveling and need hotel in Rome under 300.oo. Found the Oxford near Via Veneto a 3 star for 230.00usd,Victoria top of Via Veneto for 280.00 and Regno 3 star for 245.00. Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels? Trip is in Sept. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Joanie, I'm not familiar with the choices you listed but I have another one you 3 might want to consider. A triple room at Hotel Cesari, a 3* hotel next to the Pantheon, goes between Euro 140-190 per their special offers. Check it out on venere.com. If you do a search on this forum, you'll see some positive comments. Also, if you have your heart set on the Via Veneto area, check out the 3 new Boscolo hotels in that vicinity. Although their rack rates are fairly high, myself and others have gotten some low rates recently through hotel discounters.
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:40 PM

No, I haven't stayed at the hotels you mention. Just my opinion but it's better to stay near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona areas than near Via Veneto. The Hotel del Senato has been mentioned favorably here many times and that's another good one to try.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I choose the Oxford only because I read that it was a favorite of the US Embassy for familys. The Victoria was a 4 star and had parking. I will check out the others also. I think I am stuck with this car because we are driving to Florence and stopping in a few places. I guess I can rethink the car for a train. Thanks
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Look into the Santa Chiara or del Senato hotels, both in Pantheon area, both praised here. You can do a search on each for the past raves.

I'd lose the car somehow or pick it up on your way out. Driving it into and within Rome will be a nightmare.
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Hi Joanie, I agree that you shouldn't drive in Rome. It's pretty maddening unless you can handle that kind of stress. Roman drivers are pretty fierce and we even saw one driver run into a scooter knocking the person off of it. But they acted all accepted it as it this happens all the time so that's kind of frightening.

Old May 7th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Sorry, I meant to say "They all acted like it was nothing and accepted it..."-it is too early for me still.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Hi Joanie,
Have you considered staying in a private home? There is a website, cross pollinate, that offers rooms in private homes, available all around Italy. The one we are considering is in the heart of the historical area, and for about $100. for 2 people we can get up-close and personal with an Italian family in a way we'd never have been able to, staying at a typical hotel. And who would be better to give us good restaurant and getting-around tips than a native? A friend here at work stayed with this family last Oct. and they were just thrilled with the experience.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Oh, one more thing Joanie-if you'd like the name and more info on the family(assuming historical district in Rome will work for you)let me know. Glad to help. [email protected]
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:32 AM

It looks like you may have your heart set on the via Veneto area, but if you are open to suggestions, I also like the Pantheon/Navona area. It's near many of the sites, and is a great area to wander around and find hidden treasures. I can also recommend the Santa Chiara.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Years ago we stayed at Hotel Borghese a short walk from the "top" of Via Veneto. Pretty nice overall, room quite large by Italian standards. That was first stop on our trip, and we were scheduled to return before flying home -- second stay we'd have a car with us. After seeing Rome traffic and hearing numerous crashes out our window, we changed plans and didn't go back into Rome with the car. Driving in Rome proper is a sport for pro's only.
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I just got on line and will check out all the great sugestions. Thanks again
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:31 PM

There's an abundance of good suggestions, but I'll add one more in the area of the north end of Via Veneto. It's the hotel La Residenza, on Via Emilia a block or so west of Via Veneto; and you can drive to it pretty easily if you are entering Rome from the north. They also have parking for a few cars right in front of the hotel; that's what we always do when we go. Good luck.