Which Greek Islands?

Mar 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Which Greek Islands?

Planning to go to the Greek Islands at the end of April with my brother. We're thinking Santorini with maybe a trip to Naxos or Crete. We have 5 or 6 days total. Any tips/suggestions? Any good reasonably priced hotel suggestions?

THANKS!
trew1
Mar 8th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Well, age does play a factor in this somewhat. If you're younger (or like to party somewhat) Mykanos is a good island to go to. I also enjoyed Rhodes it was a very beautiful island and has one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. The Colossus of Rhodes. Enjoy! Sorry I can't help with the other question!
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Huh, I'm confused. I've been to Rhodes, but didn't see the Colossus which as I recall was destroyed in an earthquake hundreds of years ago. It was an OK island. I'd definitely stick with Santorini, and Mykonos is a good bet for such a short stay. Western Crete would be my second choice for the addition to Santorini.
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:52 PM

Yes Patrick, the Colossus at Rhodes was destroyed in about 226 BC, so I'm not surprised you didn't see it!
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:52 AM

This proves there are people answering queries on this board who have never been to the places they comment on or who are just wasting people's time.
Mar 9th, 2003, 01:35 AM

Well I've never been to Rhodes either, but I know enough about Greece and ancient history in general to know it's a long time since the Colossus was standing!

Anyway, back to the OP... The summer ferry shcedules aren't really up and running at the end of April, so I don't think it's very practical to try and hop between too many islands at that time of year on such a short trip. You might just manage Santorini and Naxos, although if you're flying to and from Athens you have to take the journey to and from the islands into account as well. It would probably be easier to stick to one island that offers enough to see and do to keep you occupied for the full 5 days and Crete would certainly do that. Probably a little warmer than the Cyclades at that time of year too, if that's a consideration.
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:44 AM

the only think you can see is the Aegean see.

Be carefull because the end of April is the greek Easter.
That means all Athenians leave the town to go holidays.
Diffucult to find tickets
And crow.

two nights in Mykonos and two nights in Santorini,or 5 nights in Crete

Come to Greece and enjoy the paradise

Mar 9th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Well before everyone has a complete and utter fit perhaps I should post back and say that I was typing rather quickly and forgot to put "and was where the Colossus of Rhodes one of the ancient wonders of the world was standing." Excuse me for the mistake - wow some people just like to pick fights.....oh and if you'd like to say I wasn't there - I'll send you the pictures.
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Well, I for one wasn't trying to pick a fight, but you must admit that your response wasn't a typo, it clearly was indicating that the Colossus was a reason to go to Rhodes, which did confuse me. Why go somewhere just because of what used to be there? Although I suppose people who visit Bethleham, Pearl Harbor, or ground Zero in New York would disagree with me on that!

But back to your basic quesion, trew. I can't recommend Loucas in Santorini highly enough. It is so reasonably priced for what it is with an outstanding location right on the caldera and the atmosphere that is so perfect for Santorini. But I'd opt for their service to meet you at airport or docks as it is not easy to find on your own, and you would have to lug your own luggage without their help.
Mar 9th, 2003, 09:06 AM

I like Paros also, particularily Nauossa which has clubs to go out at night nice beaches good restaurants...its very charming
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks to all of you for your responses. I'm definitely sold on Santorini - everyone I talk to and those of you on here seem to rave about it.

Thanks again,
trew
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:45 AM

Apologies to Dornroschen, shows you what a slip of the keyboard can do.
Anyway, apart from all else Santorini has to be one of the most awesome and spectacular islands on our planet.
Mar 12th, 2003, 09:42 PM
brotherleelove2003

I spent 6 months on Santorini, twice, and can say without hesitation that it's one of the best islands in the Aegean. Oia is the most beautiful village. From Santorini you can also take day trips to Ios, Naxos, Paros, Crete and Mykonos.

Mar 12th, 2003, 09:54 PM

I've only been to one Greek Island - Santorini - and can't imagine there could be any better. If you come in from the airport you'll wonder what you're doing there. But once you hit the caldera it will take your breath away. We stayed at Grottovillas in Firastefani, one delightful km walk from Fira. Grottovillas hangs off the cliff in the style you expect from Santorini, are modest in fitout and relatively so in price, but all you'll neded for your stay. You'll find their website easily with any of the search engines
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:05 PM
cmt

If you have only 6 days total, and for part of the time you'll be in Santorini, I think yoiu will not have enough time to do justice to Crete. Better to visit a different island--possibly Rhodes, and save Crete for a time when you can spend at least a week there.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:39 AM

HI!My suggestion is 3 days in Santorini and the next 3 in Crete,but only in one city(my vote for Chania city).Crete is so beautiful but it is very difficult to see it all in just 3 days!So choose santorini and chania and yoy will remember me!!!
P.S:I am from Greece!!

Search this Thread