Search

Which Ferry w/Kids Mykonos-Paros - Round trip & Mykono-Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Ferry w/Kids Mykonos-Paros - Round trip & Mykono-Santorini

Hello....

We will be in Greece in August with kids and meeting friends. We land in Mykonos from LAX, spend the night, and leave for Paros the next day. We will be in Paros for 3 days and head back to Mykonos to meet our friends. The hotel will store most of our luggage, so we will be traveling relatively light. A few days later we will be with all of our luggage and kids, and will head from Mykonos to Santorini.

Questions:
- Which is the best ferry to take to and the fastest to Paros. The luggage and the crowds seem a bit intimidating, with kids. We want to be on the most reliable fastest ferry. Should I book Platinum Class of VIP. Is there a huge difference in service.
- Three days later we head back to Mykonos from Paros - again which Ferry should we take?
- Four days later we will head to Santorini from Mykonos with all of our luggage - which is the best ferry again, that is fast and reliable?
- We leave 1st week of August is it advisable to book now or should we get there and book?

Currently I am considering:
Champion Jet 2 - Mykonos to Paros
Naxos Jet - Paros to Mykonos
World Champion Jet - Mykonos to Santorini

I almost booked seajets and thanks to this amazing forum didn't!

Thank you in advance for your time and responses!!!

Last edited by ashopalicious; Jul 17th, 2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe Forum and tagged for Greece
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 12:21 AM

I’ve got news for you — all three ferries on your list are Sea Jets ferries. Of the three I would pick WorldChampion Jet, the largest, and just bought second-hand from a Danish ferry company operating in the Baltic. I thought WorldChampion Jet stopped at Naxos but not Paros, though.

The fastest ferries are are the least reliable, and often run late, taking away the advantage of being a few minutes earlier on these very short routes. The best ferries are the slower conventional ones which have large decks where you can sit outside and enjoy the sunshine & scenery. So what if it takes 15 minutes longer to get to Paros. I would take Superferry or Superferry II, Golden Star ferries that run that route on alternate days. They are cheaper than the highspeeds too.

Mykonos to Santorini is a little longer, so a highspeed might be an advantage, but you don’t get the views as you enter the caldera from the inside of a highspeed.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 03:46 AM

Just a couple of other points:

It would probably be a good idea to book your ferries now for early August, as this is peak travel season. That said, there are about 8 ferries every day between Mykonos and Santorini, each holding hundreds of passengers. Many passengers boarding on the mainland get off at Mykonos, leaving extra seats for Paros, etc.

The ferries most most likely to be on time are the morning ones coming from Piraeus and Rafina, because they have only one or two stops before reaching Mykonos. The afternoon ferries from Mykonos are mostly those starting their day at Heraklion, Crete, and Mykonos is the last stop before they double back to Crete. Delays tend to accumulate as the day goes along, especially, it seems with Sea Jet ferries, because they often take longer at each port stop than they factor into the timetables.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 18th, 2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 06:02 AM

No need to spend extra money for a VIP lounge for such a short trip. Stick with the ChampionJets and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 06:32 AM

VIP PLATINUM HAS NICER SEATS AND PROBABLY A BIT QUIETER...BUT HONESTLY NOT REALLY ANY "Service" as such. I would book in advance but that is me...like to have things nailed down...WCJ is keeping a pretty good timetable on its first season and we enjoyed a nice smooth ride but it was late by about 45 minutes.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all the suggestions and advice....I am going to start booking the ferries as we are getting ready to leave in about a week!