Which Cycle Tour

Search

Which Cycle Tour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Cycle Tour

I'm undecided which trip is best, for those of you who know these places which offers the best trip, I'm leaning toward this one the National Parks Dalmatia 8day/7 night tour.
1) Arrival at harbour of Trogir. After check in, we cross to Rogoznica, enjoying the fresh sea breeze.
2) In the morning our boat takes us to Vodice. We cycle starting at the resort and soon cross the bridge to the island of Murter. In Slanica, the boat awaits us for the cross over to the island of Dugi Otok. On our way we pass the National Park Kornati - an archipelago in crystal clear water which is known for its rich underwater world. Our destination is the Telašćica Bay. In the local nature park is the Mir salt lake. At the end of the day we take a short hike to the impressive cliffs.
3) We cycle across the island of Dugi Otok until we finally reach the pine forest, agave and tamarisk bay of Božava. From there the boat takes us to the flower island of Molat. We explore the island on a cycle tour. Tonight is spent in the quiet port of the island.
4) During breakfast the boat takes us on a crossing to Preko on the island of Ugljan. Our tour will take us to Tkon on the island of Pasman. There is time to explore the two islands of Pasman and Ugljan. The tour follows the eastern coastline of the islands giving you a great view across the channel to the mainland. After a round tour we will meet the ship again in Preko. A short crossing takes us to Zadar, the century old political, cultural and intellectual capital of Dalmatia. Our guide will take us for an stroll through the bustling streets of the old town centre, characterized by 3000 years of history.
5) The morning begins by boat to the city of Biograd followed by a bike tour around the Vraner Lake. Our goal, the swimming destination of Vodice. The Vraner Lake is the largest fresh water reservoir in Dalmatia and offers many migratory birds. The ship awaits us in Vodice for lunch. An afternoon crossing by boat brings us closer to the Krka waterfalls which we will explore tomorrow.
6) After breakfast we discover the unique naturally formed waterfalls of the national park of the Krka-Canyon. Afterwards the boat takes us to Šibenik out of the Krka river mouth and into the Adriatic. Here the Cathedral of St. Jacob is regarded as the most magnificent sacral buildings on the Adriatic coast. The old town of Šibenik is also worth a visit before we cross to the coral island of Zlarin.
7) In the morning we cruise to Primošten, here we cycle passing small villages, all the way to Trogir. We see many magical views of the town and the island of Čiovo. The afternoon offers enough time for a stroll through the world cultural heritage old town of Trogir, then a farewell dinner together.
8) After breakfast disembarkation until 9 am and individual trip home or extended stay in Croatia.
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

This is the Southern Dalmatia Tour
1) Individual arrival by car to the harbor of Trogir. After check in the first cruise starts about 3 pm from Trogir to Hvar Island. Stari Grad is the second largest settlement on the Island of Hvar and well known for its important harbour.
2) Today’s first cycle tour leads us along the almost traffic free pass road through nicely set small villages. After breakfast in Stari Grad we do a second cycle tour to the quaint harbors of Jelsa and Vrboska. Afterwards we return to Stari Grad, which has become a Mecca for artists and art lovers in the past few years. A second cycle tour leads us to the islands capital Hvar, where we visit the magnificent Renaissance Square and enjoy the view at the Spanish Fortress which is situated high above the city. We hop on board again and cross over to Vis Island at about 6 pm. Overnight stay on Vis.
3) Vis is the furthermost island from mainland Croatia. A Greek colony called Issa has been on the island 2,300 years ago. Due to its strategic location it was a military zone until 1995 and prohibited for foreign tourists. Today we have the opportunity to explore the lovely island by bicycle. After cycling the boat takes us to the Island of Korčula.
4) Today we discover the island of Korčula by bicycle. The calmness and remoteness of the vast vegetation and cypress gardens have given the shape to the probably most beautiful Dalmatian island. Our cycle tour leads us via the village of Blato, like Rome build on seven hills, along a pass road across Pupnat bay and finally to Korčula town, where we have time to take a walk through the wonderful old town with its narrow “fishbone like” alleys.
5) We cruise to the island of Hvar once more and go ashore in Sućuraj, which is a very unique, picturesque fishing village at the easternmost tip of the island of Hvar. Dalmatia mainland is almost within one’s reach. Today we cycle along the long-drawn-out island till Jelsa.
6) We cycle from Omiš through the valley of the Cetina River which is surrounded by steep rocks. We have the choice to take part in a four hours rafting tour on the Cetina River and afterwards a small cycle tour back to the boat - or to expand the cycling tour to 27 mi. along small side roads and versatile landscapes until reaching Omiš and its pirate castles. In the afternoon our ship takes us to Split. The old town of Split, built adjoining the famous palace of the Roman Caesar Diocletian, is a world heritage site.
7) After crossing to Stomorska on the island of Šolta we commence our last cycle tour. Walled fields, numerous olive groves, locust bean and fig trees line the roads. The herb smells of lavender and rosemary accompanies us along our tour through this island. We enjoy our last crossing back to Trogir where we can take a tour of the old town . The last evening we enjoy our last get-together with crew and tour guides.
8)After breakfast disembarkation .
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for any input to help me decide which tour to book. After this bike tour I will explore more of Croatia
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 07:10 AM

Do they offer information on difficulty, and do you have a preference there? Both sound pretty fabulous really, but my educated guess (not having been to all places but having researched four trips and being pretty much obsessed with the place since 2002), is that the first will be much, MUCH more flat. The second may have more wow factor, but you will see more humans, and you will be going up up up. (Other than the north coast of Hvar from Stari Grad to Sucuraj, there are serious hills on Vis, Hvar, and Korcula.)
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I'm not worried about hills as I will be on an ebike. I'm only trying to decide which is the best tour as far as sites. . I removed the cycle talk (difficulty, etc)from the itinerary as I know most Fodorites don't know that info.

I've never been to Croatia so I don't have a preference. Right now I'm leaning toward the National Parks trip, but I can't say I have a concrete reason.

Hmmm second has more wow factor that's what I'm looking for. Wow! hills and overlooks are great on an ebike.
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Ah, you're golden then. The second visits more popular islands, so I think you get a better overview of the highlights. The first looks like it will cover more wildlife, a bit more off the beaten path--and just as impressive I am sure. Don't think you can go wrong! I have explored Vis, Korcula on a scooter, and Hvar by car, and you are in for some dramatic scenery to be sure.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, now you have me back to the 2nd one, the Southern Dalmatia trip, it seems I will see more beauty with elevation.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM

The Thorn Tree forum has a bike section--you might get more feedback there. Can't go wrong though!